Network Engineer, Deployment & Support
Network Engineer, Deployment & Support
Facebook is looking for a Network Engineer to join the Edge and Network Services team. This team is responsible for deploying and supporting one of the world’s largest and complex networks. As a member of this team, you will have a unique opportunity to be involved in all aspects of networking at Facebook. This position is based in our Fremont, California location.
Network Engineer, Deployment & Support Responsibilities
- Deploy and support our global production and corporate network including edge, backbone, data center, campus, and content delivery network (CDN) infrastructure.
- Work cross-functionally with project management, network engineering to generate implementation plans including Method of Procedure (MOP) and Bill of Materials (BOM), Engineering Design Packages (EDP), Scope of Works (SOW), Network equipment and server Rack Face Elevations (RFE).
- Provide technical leadership and guidance (Remote and/or on-site) during deployment activities in our data centers and POPs, including in the areas of facility power, cooling, rack layout and cable management, physical equipment installation, network equipment configuration, testing and handoff for production traffic.
- Calculate and document equipment power/space requirements and consumption for multiple PoP sites. Work with Colocation Vendors, local Engineering, Facilities Operations, to meet these requirements.
- Perform fault isolation and trouble resolution on network hardware, software, and circuits.
- Schedule and perform network maintenance including repairs, upgrades, and migrations.
- Maintain asset database for installed network gear and work with Logistics on vendor RMAs.
- Maintain technical and training documentation, develop automation and tooling as needed.
- Participate in on call activities and follow escalation process to support the infrastructure 24/7.
- 10% to 30% of travel.
- Proactively contribute to documentation, automation and processes improvement.
- Create cage and rack designs and understand the overall needs of current and future POP infrastructure.
- 6+ years of IP networking experience with designing, deploying, and supporting service provider, data center, and/or enterprise network infrastructure.
- Experience configuring and troubleshooting IP routing/switching technologies and protocols including TCP/IP, BGP, ISIS, OSPF, MPLS, RSVP, and VRRP in a dual-stack IPv4/6 environment.
- Experience coordinating and executing hardware installation and configuration.
- Working knowledge of fiber-optic communications technology including CWDM and DWDM.
- Hands-on experience with enterprise and carrier class routing, switching, and optical transport platforms.
- Knowledge of data center design and operational best practices.
- Experience with Linux OS/networking.
- Experience analyzing situations and utilizing problem solving experiences under pressure.
- Proven experience leading and executing network deployment projects.
- Experience working with limited supervision.
- Experience interacting with vendors and external parties to drive projects to completion.
- Time and project management experience.
- Ability to lift/move 30-40 pounds on a daily basis.
- Experience working in a multi-vendor network environment.
- Experience with field-based work in Collocation Facilities, Internet Exchanges, or Central Offices.
- Scripting experience with Python or Perl.
- Network certifications such as CCNP or JNCIP. Expert level certifications.
- Bilingual and experience reading, writing and speaking Spanish proficiently.
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities — we're just getting started.
Facebook is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.