Senior Analyst, Trust & Safety
1 month ago
Senior Analyst, Trust & Safety
Coinbase has built the world's leading compliant cryptocurrency platform serving over 30 million accounts in more than 100 countries. With multiple successful products, and our vocal advocacy for blockchain technology, we have played a major part in mainstream awareness and adoption of cryptocurrency. We are proud to offer an entire suite of products that are helping build the cryptoeconomy, and increase economic freedom around the world.
There are a few things we look for across all hires we make at Coinbase, regardless of role or team. First, we assess whether a candidate demonstrates our values: Clear Communication, Positive Energy, Efficient Execution, and Continuous Learning. Second, we look for signals that a candidate will thrive in a culture like ours, where we default to trust, embrace feedback, disrupt ourselves, and expect sustained high performance because we play as a championship team. Finally, we seek people with the desire and capacity to build and share expertise in the frontier technologies of crypto and blockchain, in whatever way is most relevant to their role.
Read more about our values and culture here.
Security is a primary competency at Coinbase, and the Security Operations Team keeps a watchful eye over every aspect of it. Every day, we go to battle against some of the most sophisticated attackers in the world to protect billions of dollars worth of digital assets and ensure that our customers and employees can enjoy a safe, trusted experience. As Coinbase scales globally, our team is scaling along with it, using a blend of tooling, automation, and strategic team growth to ensure that we’re well-equipped to protect the next billion users of crypto.
The Security Operations group is a multi-functional organization that includes our CSIRT, Trust & Safety, and Threat Intelligence. While no two days will end up looking the same, generally-speaking you’ll be responsible for the following things:
What you’ll be doing (ie. job duties):
- Define and evaluate user abuse metrics, and come up with novel ways to investigate what’s driving these metrics.
- Devise, build, and maintain reports, dashboards and visualizations to help the business better understand user abuse at Coinbase.
- Perform in-depth data analysis and look for patterns and trends to identify potential new security issues, understand attack vectors, and build automated detection systems.
- If something happens twice, you’ll write a runbook for it. If it happens three times, you’ll resolve a way to automate that runbook.
- Work on scaling and automating our brand protection and abuse detection initiatives.
What we look for in you (ie. job requirements):
- You’ve been doing data analysis (e.g., SQL, MySQL, MapReduce) for a while now, probably in the realm of 5+ years.
- You enjoy finding elegant solutions to tricky problems, the trickier the problem the more fun you have solving it.
- You frequently get praise from your peers and coworkers about your communication skills, both written and verbal.
- You don’t just reflexively open up a Jupyter Notebook during an investigation, you’ve actually got favorite Jupyter Notebooks you’ve built up over the years, because you like backing up your conclusions with data, and you like automating things.
- You can translate complex findings and results into a concise and compelling narrative.
Nice to haves:
- You would bring a diverse perspective to the team: for example, maybe you took an unconventional route to get into your current security career.
- You’ve got a passing familiarity with blockchains and cryptocurrency.
- You’ve worked on or have thought deeply about Internet-based risk, abuse, fraud, data protection or security.