Team Lead, Software Engineering
11 days ago
Team Lead, Software Engineering
Covid-19 Hiring Update: Like many employers, we've transitioned to a work-from-home model and are exploring how and when we will return to our physical offices. During this time, we continue to recruit and leverage video interviews to get to know candidates. While many of our positions were already remote by design, our recruiters will share any long-term location requirements for a particular position.
Cherwell Software (@Cherwell) is a global leader in enterprise service management, empowering organizations through the use of intuitive technology for better, faster, and more affordable innovation. Our solutions and our people build lasting relationships. We are a growing company with offices in the US, Europe, and Australia.
We are looking for a Team Lead - Software Engineer to join our team in Scotland. We’re based in Dundee but offer flexible working, so if you don’t live locally we use technology to support remote working.
Who Will Love This Job
- A problem solver: You thrive in an environment that tests ideas by building.
- Someone with a passion for technology: You are technically confident - you can learn and use new technologies quickly
- Someone who is a “doer”: You find the opportunities to help customers and you take them.
- A strategic thinker: You can capture the unique vision of what Cherwell does and inspire customers with a sense of what’s possible
- A great teammate: You collaborate with other team members to solve problems and work together to achieve deadlines and departmental goals. You have a point of view but are low ego
What You'll Do
The Software Engineering Team Lead directs a team of software engineers who support new product development and product improvement projects to include design, analysis, and all aspects of project engineering work. The Team Lead is responsible for ensuring the team is informed, engaged and that progress is being made towards project objectives.
- Understand the dynamic of your team and its members and use this knowledge to assign tasks appropriately and help facilitate the needs of the contributors. You also contribute to the effort by bringing to bear your considerable technical abilities and complete your tasks on time to the definition of done.
- Active member of two teams - lead your development team and when you are in that team you are supporting them, working shoulder to shoulder with them to meet deadlines and uphold standards and a member of the management team.
- Represent your development team’s interests to ensure the standards, deadlines and working practices are appropriate.
- Serve as a scrum master for your team and initiate the ceremonies in line with our scrum / agile practices. Bring to bear your experience in discussions and help the team to decide on the best way forward for any given scenario, often leading. You are expected to highlight concerns to senior management or the product team when appropriate.
- Demonstrate the importance of automation testing by ensuring that all of your developments meet the definition of done by writing unit tests for new classes and these classes are consistent with the SOLID principals. Invest in the automation pyramid as appropriate and ensure your tests are included in the continuous integration pipeline.
- Help identify areas for improvement with your peers and apply your considerable experience during code reviews.
- Recognize the importance of initiatives that will benefit the wider department. These may include optimizations of established system function; addition of unit / integration test projects; the spreading of knowledge through presentations, etc. You encourage your team to do this work where appropriate.
- You also play a role in deciding who we hire into the department and will participate in interviews when asked.
If you have the following experience, we’d love to hear from you!
- 5 years working on commercial enterprise software applications, as part of a team making a consistent contribution
- 1 year of experience of taking the lead on a project and/or supervision of a development team
Even Better If You Have:
- Contribution to a large complex monolith
- Experience of leading people
- Hiring of software engineers
- Ability to manage risk and drive delivery of solutions to customers
- Working knowledge of design patters and where these should be used
- Hands-on experience using Microsoft technologies professionally: .NET, C#, SQL Server
- Fluent in contributing to unit / integration test projects
- Working experience of high load / high availability applications
- Good understanding of message queueing, caching technologies (I.e. Redis, CDNs, etc.) and message busses
- Strong understanding of design, debugging and development asynchronous patterns and threading.
- A good understanding of how relational databases work and how to interact with them effectively including optimizations / setup considerations ability to create both queries and DDL.
- 4 Year degree in related field or equivalent relevant experience
- When experienced people are inspired to come together to change the Service Management industry, the industry takes notice.
- We hire humble, but hungry teammates with a passion to give their heart into all that we do for our customers, partners, and community members!
- You will work with a team of great people with diverse talents and learn something new every day.
- We offer competitive compensation and benefits.
Please do not include any of the following details in your CV: date of birth, marital status, nationality, racial/ethnic origin, religion or a photograph - none of these characteristics are relevant to the decision as to whether you have the skills and experience to perform a particular role.
Cherwell Software embraces diversity and equal opportunity in a serious way. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. If you require accessibility assistance applying for open positions, please send an email with your request to Recruiting@Cherwell.com.
If you are a recruiter or placement agency, please do not submit resumes to any person or email address at Cherwell Software prior to having a signed agreement from Cherwell Talent Acquisition. Cherwell is not liable for and will not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its prior-approved recruitment partners. Furthermore, any resumes sent to us without a written signed agreement in place will be considered your company's gift to Cherwell and may be forwarded to our recruiters for their attention. Thank you