Senior Software Engineer / Technical Lead
Senior Software Engineer / Technical Lead
The Archive Sciences Branch in the Data Management Division is seeking a Technical Lead to provide technical guidance and development in building web applications and services for the communities we support. DMD is responsible for a multi-petabyte premier astronomical data archive that maintains Hubble, Kepler, GALEX, TESS, James Webb Space Telescope and Nancy Grace Roman Space Telescope mission data. We are recognized as providing first-class support for archive users and science teams. Our applications include rich search user interfaces, web-based visualization tools, APIs and databases. You will be part of an interdisciplinary team of astronomers and engineers. Your job will be to design and implement services that support the data archive of today and help shape future innovations that will allow us to continue to be the premier archive for data-driven astronomy in the 21st century.
STScI has all staff working remotely during COVID-19 crisis. The safety of our staff and community is our top priority. We will continue to screen and interview candidates in this new virtual landscape. Offers of employment can be extended and new hires can on-board virtually and shipped systems to be able to work remotely until it is safe to report to our Baltimore offices. Relocation benefits will be available to those eligible when travel can be supported.
Explore our benefits here: http://www.stsci.edu/opportunities/benefits
Your Qualifications & Job Requirements:
- You are a technical lead with 10+ years of experience in building web based applications, web-services and RESTful APIs
- You are a technical lead for multiple initiatives in phases of development (analysis, design, development, operation)
- You participate in Agile software development projects to design, code, and unit test web applications and webservices/RESTful APIs to deliver quality services promptly
- You participate in developing complex application components based on detail designs
- You ensure software engineering best practices and standards, Peer Code Review processes and build configurations for CI/CD are followed.
- You participate, and at times, lead architecture, design and review discussions
- You translate user stories to tasks relating to process and data requirements
- You troubleshoot application issues arising out of production to ensure resolution following established standards of incident management, IT compliance and risk management
- You design and build applications to ensure scalability, high availability, reliability and performance
- You possess a high degree of proficiency in technical leadership, mentoring junior staff
You have experience with:
- one or more scripted languages such as Python with the ability to learn more
- Agile development
- You are comfortable developing in both Linux and Windows environments
- BS/BA in Computer Science, Engineering, or in a related field. A different engineering, scientific or technical degree in combination with relevant work experience may be considered. The position level and salary are commensurate with education and experience.
Your Technical Lead Responsibilities:
- Proficiency in taking a project from scoping requirements through launch of the project
- Work with engineering staff to evaluate potential new technologies for STScI data management
- Provide technical leadership and mentorship to junior and mid-level engineers and astronomers at STScI
- Determine and improve operational feasibility by conducting analysis, problem definition, requirements, and proposed solutions
- Contribute to technical roadmaps
- This position requires US Citizenship or Permanent Residence to meet ITAR requirements.
To Apply: You are requested to complete an on-line application through the STScI website. Please upload a cover letter and resume on one PDF document for review. Applications received by May 8, 2020 will receive full consideration.
Direct Link: https://recruiting2.ultipro.com/SPA1004AURA/JobBoard/93330e50-7b3a-4ba8-94f2-6f32360aa4e1/Opportunity/OpportunityDetail?opportunityId=96229fa3-9de5-4a29-be7d-6a70fe956868
To explore other job announcements: www.stsci.edu/opportunities
AURA, as a leader in the astronomical community, is committed to diversity and inclusion. AURA develops and supports programs that advance our organizational commitment to diversity, broaden participation, and encourage the advancement of diversity throughout the astronomical scientific workforce. Learn more at www.aura-astronomy.org/diversity.asp
As a recipient of U.S. Government funding, AURA is considered a government contractor and is subject to Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action regulations. As an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer, AURA and all of the centers, do not discriminate based on race, sex, color, age, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity/gender identity expression, lawful political affiliations, veteran status, disability, and/or any other legally protected status under applicable federal, state, and local equal opportunity.
STScI sees the diversity of our staff as a strategic priority in our desire to create a first-rate scientific community. We reflect that deep commitment in strongly encouraging women, minorities, veterans and disabled individuals to apply for these opportunities.
Veterans, disabled individuals or wounded warriors needing assistance with the employment process can contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. EOE/AA/M/F/D/V
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)