From their secret techno-lairs the Google developers have revealed a preview of their latest creation: App Engine:
Google App Engine lets you run your web applications on Google’s infrastructure. App Engine applications are easy to build, easy to maintain, and easy to scale as your traffic and data storage needs grow. With App Engine, there are no servers to maintain: You just upload your application, and it’s ready to serve your users.
The features include:
- dynamic web serving, with full support for common web technologies
- persistent storage with queries, sorting and transactions
- automatic scaling and load balancing
- APIs for authenticating users and sending email using Google Accounts
- a fully featured local development environment that simulates Google App Engine on your computer
App Engine currently supports Python, but apparently other languages are coming. The free account (the only one offered during the preview) is limited to “500MB of storage, 200M megacycles of CPU per day, and 10GB bandwidth per day”.
The App Engine blog is also up and running.
These certainly are interesting times! Thanks to @lachlanhardy for the news!