User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does a personal blog earn income?

Hello, I want to know if a personal blog really earns some money. I'm planning to turn my blog into something that makes money but I want it to be about topics that people like to read.
    My blog: Loy Meets World

Get 30% discount at WP Web Host (use coupon code: LOY30)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It depends on what you will do to make it earn money. I have read a lot of personal blogs and a lot of interesting topics that concerns everyday living is there along with some advertisements to make it earn.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by loyski View Post
    Hello, I want to know if a personal blog really earns some money. I'm planning to turn my blog into something that makes money but I want it to be about topics that people like to read.
    Are you referring to Google Adsense or other affiliates? Then, yes you can earn money on your blog. Make sure you have set of unique topics/articles on your blog so that you can attract visitors and get more traffic. You may read different topics on such kind here in SP. Just browse the threads:

http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=242
    http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you should choose a niche that either is untapped or something popular like celebrities or something very interesting. You can make loads of money from affiliate sales and if you are a good affiliate, some sites will link back to you. Then you really start making the cash. Just make sure you research affiliate programs because some don't pay their affiliates.
    --------------------

Web Hosting Reviews, News and Articles
    www.kubus.net

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, personal blog can be make money if you regularly update it and there should be some interesting topic so if you get traffic you can apply some ad like banner or link add

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I don't make money without my personal blogs

SitePoint Enthusiast sanjeewamad's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by loyski View Post
    No problems of turning your blog in to something that can make money and posting topics that most of the people looking at. But keep one thing in mind, Don't select a topic which is not interesting for you. I think it is extremely important to choose a topic which you like. Otherwise it will be difficult to maintain the blog and as time goes on it will make you bored.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it depends on traffic and topic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are a lot of personal blogs that have worked but when you read there content it is very informative and the people who write the content are creative writers. That keeps people interested in reading what they have to say. If you can't write and your life is really boring then good luck in making a good personal blog. I've seen a lot of those.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't make money with my personal blog but know webmasters who make loads of cash from them, so I think its a good idea to try to monetize yours...

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    there are a lot of ad networks your can join in to make money from your personal blog.

The amount of money you can make from it depends on your blog traffic and the ad networks you use

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The higher blog traffic the higher earnings.

How much You will earn depends on your niche.
    How to Make Money in a Recession
    Passive Income

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your earning from your blog surely depends upon some factors like - the niche of your blog,the quality and uniqueness of your writings/posted articles,the number of visitors your blog gets per day-and so on..

But the main theme is Traffic=$$$

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think personal blog could also earn a lot of money as long as you generate enough traffic to your blog. If you also update your blog frequently and do a lot of promoting your blogs then I think there is a fair chance of earning something from a personal blog.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ya you earn money from perosonal blod but its depand on you how u earn.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I make money on my personal blogs. Fairly easy as long as you have good content and can drive traffic to it. Not really much different then a regular website really.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes you do make money out of personal blog. But really doesn't matter whether its personal or non personal, its all on how you promote a website or blog and how well targetted traffic you get.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yes, you can really money from your blog whether it's for business or personal by putting adsense or other PPC programs. You can also accept some affiliate sites that want to advertise with your blog.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personal as in your life and meanderings of daily "you". Unless you have an interesting life, I would make a personal blog with a niche like what gadgets you bought and your reviews on them or things you buy in general and review them. People love candid reviews. Makes them feel they can trust you more. Affiliate based is great for income, but you gotta kep on doing it or the income decreases.
    --------------------

Web Hosting Reviews, News and Articles
    www.kubus.net

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since it is a personal blog. It's a little harder to make it competitive if you compare it to other blogs which have high keyword searches..

But yes, you can earn using your personal blog. Just make sure to make an ultimately interesting and unique articles/posts and make it visible to leading search engines, social bookmarking sites and directories..

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, it's harder, but it's possible. Personally, though I think it is a lot more work to have to deliver personal information each time you write, I mean even just for psychological reasons and it being the internet and strangers reading about your personal life. But if done right, you can become popular and have fun doing it. There's a blog called Dooce that I look at from time to time, she's a stay at home mom who supports her family by writing about her life.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you very much for your comments and suggestions. I'm quite bored with my personal blog (which you can visit through my sig) and I want a change in its overall theme. Since I want to get rich and become a billionaire (hehe!), I am thinking about changing my blog's theme into something about becoming rich, making money, success tips, personal development, etc. Do you think that readers will be interested on such topics? I also plan to get a better domain name to suit the new theme/topic.
    My blog: Loy Meets World

Get 30% discount at WP Web Host (use coupon code: LOY30)

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can surely make money from a blog but you should not start blogging for money.

It requires time, effort, energy and a lot of patience before your writing skills pay off ;-)

Some niche/blog topic are more profitable than others. I specialized in personal finance (credit, investment, financial planning, etc.) and it goes well ;-)

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just write a ton of random content until you find something that generates some traffic for you - then spin that off into a new blog if it makes sense to do so.
    Peter Answers all from the tarot to online tricks and pranks.
    Gourmet Food Gift Baskets make great gifts!
    UB Funkeys are fun for all ages.
    Woodbury Commons premium outlet shops.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Bleys's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some personal blogs earn income, but most don't. Or they do, but it's such a paltry sum it isn't enough to live off of (and maybe not even be enough to cover the hosting bill).

However, personal blogs can pay dividends in other ways. Blogging is a great way to establish yourself as an expert in your field. While you may not make a direct income from ads, a well received blog can help land you a job, consulting gigs, speaking engagements, can help you sell books, services, or whatever you do, etc.

For many people, their personal blog is a great marketing tool for building their personal brand. It doesn't make them money directly, but it does make them money.
    Last edited by Bleys; Feb 11, 2009 at 16:50. Reason: fixed a typo
    Josh is a ghost
    rails & work & twitter

Organization is the
    death of creativity.