SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would be very careful about using Wikipedia for links. They have cracked down on spammers and there are several people who monitor various articles and rapidly edit out any irrelevant outgoing links. Unless you can genuinely add to the article, I wouldn't do it.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Phil from Loreau, can you send me a private, I would like to chat with you about an article for wikopedia

SitePoint Zealot quantum physics's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyperbolik View Post
    I understand that Wikipedia is all about information and not about advertising. That being said, I've heard people say that they are able to drop their link in a Wikipedia article for a quality backlink.

How could you possibly make it so that your commercial website would be useful to a person reading Wikipedia and not get your article edits thrown out? Maybe in the footnotes?
    Wikipedia uses no follow tags in their links.
    This means even though a website gets 100s of links pointing towards it from Wikipedia,its meaningless.

No-follow was introduced by google and is supported by Wikipedia.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by quantum physics View Post
    This means even though a website gets 100s of links pointing towards it from Wikipedia,its meaningless.

I guess you posted before reading the thread? Did you not notice how many posts there were that talk about the large amount of traffic that wikipedia get, so those links from wikipedia are NOT meaningless, they are a source of traffic.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hyperbolik View Post
    I understand that Wikipedia is all about information and not about advertising. That being said, I've heard people say that they are able to drop their link in a Wikipedia article for a quality backlink.

How could you possibly make it so that your commercial website would be useful to a person reading Wikipedia and not get your article edits thrown out? Maybe in the footnotes?

Quote Originally Posted by quantum physics View Post

I guess if you can provide a link to relevant information then it wouldn't be a problem. But any external links offered by Wikipedia are to references. If it's a commercial site, then how hard would it be to discern the intent?
    And I would hardly consider the link a "quality backlink" in SEO terms. Like Q.P. pointed out it's nofollow, so you get no link juice from it. The link is also placed at the end of the article, under the heading of "references" in most cases with no kind of anchor text to plug keywords in.
    But like I stated before, even though the SEO value is minimal, I do enjoy a fair amount of traffic from the articles I've submitted information to and used my own articles as a reference.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They can accept your link to the "external links" section if your site is helpful to the article on wiki

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could always drop a link into an already written article.
    Example: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proxy_s...Proxy_software

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mmelen View Post
    You could always drop a link into an already written article.
    Example: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proxy_s...Proxy_software
    Thats called spam and 99.9% of links drops like that get deleted by Wikipedia.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It depends firstly on topic, sphere of your site.
    To submit your site, you need just to write 2-5 relevant, original, "new" sentences and wait until Wiki accept it.
    I have backlinks from Wiki and I need to say that it was hard to write these sentences, just to be "good" for Wiki
    And all links from Wiki are "follow"

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tanya1177 View Post
    And all links from Wiki are "follow"
    Rubbish. They are nofollow'd .. just check the source.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You know, 2 years ago all links from Wiki was "follow", now I see that they are "noffolow"
    And what about Wiki Travel, did they also change it? Can you help me?

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy hooperman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tanya1177 View Post
    And what about Wiki Travel, did they also change it? Can you help me?
    If you go to the site and view the page source you can check yourself. Find the link you're concerned about and check for presence of rel="nofollow".

In your browser, click View > (Page) Source

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If your external link stays long enough before it is deleted by Wikipedia, there's a chance that some webmaster will copy the content of the Wikipedia page that your link was on and your link will be copied at that webmaster's website which should not be a "no-follow" link. I've had a couple of experiences in which it did happen and got a couple of backlinks from it but the Wikipedia editors have been cracking down really fast lately and they are not staying long enough for the pages to be copied.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it's really no follow? so sad about that. imagine it how can you get benefit from wiki if wiki get do follow again in a year or couple of month???

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy hooperman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by redpowerpc View Post
    it's really no follow? so sad about that.
    You're sad that a website has taken positive steps to combat spam? In contrast, I'm dancing a jig

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hooperman View Post
    You're sad that a website has taken positive steps to combat spam? In contrast, I'm dancing a jig
    yeah is a good way to combat a spam and get protection from spammers take over wiki world.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by redpowerpc View Post
    it's really no follow? so sad about that. imagine it how can you get benefit from wiki if wiki get do follow again in a year or couple of month???
    I don't think it's sad at all.
    I like getting a break in my SEO efforts just as much as the next guy but nowadays it's so difficult to find relevant information on things.
    Wikipedia is about information, not SEO, not E-commerce.
    Nothing aggravates me more than when I'm trying to look for something be it a review or how-to or opinions and I have to sift through dozens of pages with nothing but Google ads or parked domains loaded with PPC ads.
    I personally have no problem at all with my backlinks on Wiki being nofollow and applaud their efforts to minimize spam.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil from Loreau View Post
    I don't think it's sad at all.
    I like getting a break in my SEO efforts just as much as the next guy but nowadays it's so difficult to find relevant information on things.
    Wikipedia is about information, not SEO, not E-commerce.
    Nothing aggravates me more than when I'm trying to look for something be it a review or how-to or opinions and I have to sift through dozens of pages with nothing but Google ads or parked domains loaded with PPC ads.
    I personally have no problem at all with my backlinks on Wiki being nofollow and applaud their efforts to minimize spam.
    yes... it's all about information. we go and open wiki for information and find it what we want.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After reading through this thread, I am wondering how many people that have posted their "opinions" on wikipedia have actually tried to insert a link into an article?

The wikipedia moderators have had their hands removed and hammers put in their place. Because they are some of the heaviest handed admins I have ever seen.

If you insert a link into an article, chances are it will be removed within minutes, maybe an hour or two later. If you insert links into 2, 3, 4, or more articles on the same visit, chances are you will receive a nice little warning stating that if you do not stop, you will be banned from wikipedia.

There is no appealing the moderators decision, so dont even try. Some of those moderators have a talk page a mile long. They do not have time to deal with someone whining because their link was removed.

For a link to be put into wikipedia, your website has to be an aged domain with LOTS of good content. If your "blog" is less then a year old, and unless you have a masters or doctors degree in the topic, your back links will be removed.

The moderators at Wikipedia want a certain quality of websites linked in the articles, and personal blogs are not the types of sites they want. Take a look at CNN, or discover magazine website, harvard, berkley, Texas A&M, center of disease control - those are the types of sites that the moderators want back linked. Not some "blog" about what you "think" on a topic. If you were a doctor that has developed a treatment for cancer, your link might stay.

When you "try" to put a link on wikipedia, you need to ask yourself a few questions about your site:
    How old is my site?
    Does my site offer quality information on a topic?
    How much information does my site offer?
    Am I a professional on the topic? <---- nobody cares about your "opinion", wikipedia is for facts.

When the wikipedia moderator looks at your site, those are some of the questions they will ask.

And then, after your links have been removed, and you are almost banned from wikipedia - you will go to every forum you know and post about how you were mistreated at wikipedia. After a few weeks you will get over it.

If you "try" to insert a link into an article - do only one link in one article. At least then the moderators will not think you are spamming.

Keep in mind, wikipedia moderators = heavy handed admins with a heart of stone.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well said Kev.
    In all honesty, I do consider my site a legitimate source of information on the respective subject.
    I actually feel honored that Wiki has allowed my site to remain under the references section and very much appreciate the backlink, even if it is nofollow.