Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Bleys's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Google no longer suggests directory submission

Just saw this.

Google always encouraged submitting links to paid and free directories -- like Yahoo! and the Open Directory Project, but now they've removed the bullet point that made that suggestion from their Webmaster Guidelines.

It used to suggest:

• “Have other relevant sites link to yours.”
    • “Submit your site to relevant directories such as the Open Directory Project and Yahoo!, as well as to other industry-specific expert sites.”
    But both bullet points have been removed (at least from the US version of the page).

Via: http://www.beussery.com/blog/index.p...ry-submission/
    Josh is a ghost
    rails & work & twitter

Organization is the
    death of creativity.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great catch.. They might have changed their algorithyms to not take this into account..
    MortgageApplication.net - Compare home mortgage rates & quotes.
    Compare Mortgage Rates - Home Mortgage - US Mortgage News

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yahoo isn't a paid directory right? Your submission is not guaranteed, you only pay to get your site reviewed within 7 days. But inclusion of your site is not guaranteed.

phpLD Fanatic bronze trophy dvduval's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So now it says:
    "Make sure all the sites that should know about your pages are aware your site is online."
    I think this statement is not very well defined. We have to think about where your site "should" be listed. Obviously, a directory that is filled with spam, has little or no editorial policy, and is not maintained would not be a good place to be listed.

However, there are some good directories, especially niche and regional directories. Finding directories (and other sites) in your niche or region can be instrumental in getting the site indexed and ranked. At the same, be selective, and don't just submit your site to a directory that is clearly of low quality. Instead, look harder for directories that are well maintained an organized, and offering listings related to your niche or region.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy bluedreamer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've always looked at directory submission as "marketing and promotion" rather than SEO.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Google perhaps want to stop SEO companies to build thousands of links to improve SERP and instead want to focus on "votes" from relevant sites with alive information and GOOD information instead of Directory links. I'm not sure if I understand this correctly, but do they stop give credit for links from directories or have they just removed the tip to prevent the upcoming web entrepreneurs to spam directories to gain PageRank?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It says the (infact it's the exact same page) same on the UK version. But I have to agree with dvduval, it's not very well defined and it looks like they maybe concentrating on getting everyone to do a sitemap instead.
    "Don't you just love it when you solve a programming bug only to create another."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With Google you never know what their up too.... Me i'll just keep getting back-links to get indexed quickly and increase my rankings.

They may change some things, but linking love is here to stay. How & where we get links play a big part, but all links count.

Former Galactic Overlord gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy HAWK's Avatar
    Mentioned
    987 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    I'm interested to see that they have removed the first bullet point.

The directories bit doesn't surprise me that much, it's gotten out of control, but having relevant sites link to yours? I would have thought that that was still important.

Get rid or artificial link building for sure, but I don't see that point as falling into that category.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't harm with directories submissions till now.
    It might wants to bulk submissions in free directories.
    BTW, many of the free directories itself does not have pages indexed in Google than how they will help you out for getting quality back links.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bleys View Post
    Just saw this.

Google always encouraged submitting links to paid and free directories -- like Yahoo! and the Open Directory Project, but now they've removed the bullet point that made that suggestion from their Webmaster Guidelines.

It used to suggest:

But both bullet points have been removed (at least from the US version of the page).

Via: http://www.beussery.com/blog/index.p...ry-submission/
    Yes, directories are gone.
    DMOZ die itself long time ago.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by yenerich View Post
    Yes, directories are gone.
    DMOZ die itself long time ago.

Is DMOZ dead?

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, Google doesn't say 100% every little thing to get the most out of their algorithm. Perhaps they are just changing the wording some to get rid of the directories to control the spam, though the good high-quality, moderated, and highly-relavent directories are still worth using.

It is a bit odd about the first line being removed though. That was thought to be the largest basis of the algorithm. I think more than an algorithm change, it is simply to try and reduce spammage. Perhaps it is "Have other sites" part. Perhaps instead of them wanting you to try to get people to link to you, they want people to link to sites more organically. This could be an attempt to get rid of stuff like paid links, link swapping, etc.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pitorian View Post
    Is DMOZ dead?
    Sorry it's off the topic but DMOZ is not dead, infact I've just read on the blog they are in actively working on a new DMOZ, story.
    "Don't you just love it when you solve a programming bug only to create another."

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What has changed is link quality. More and more, the quality of the links pointing to your site, as well as the links on your site, is important.

Niche and regional directories tend to be better maintained and more relevant than general directories. As I look over the sales of people buying directories there has been a very significant shift from people using our software from "general" to niche and regional.

When you are considering which directories will be best, try to think of whether or not the directory would be a helpful site to the user. If it helps users, most likely it will grow over time. When you are looking at niche and regional directories, I think you will find that it is much easier for the webmaster to create a site that is interesing and helpful.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HAWK View Post
    I'm interested to see that they have removed the first bullet point.

The directories bit doesn't surprise me that much, it's gotten out of control, but having relevant sites link to yours? I would have thought that that was still important.

Get rid or artificial link building for sure, but I don't see that point as falling into that category.
    It makes sense for Google to not mention anything about "having relevant sites link to yours." They are trying to eliminate artificial link building as you mentioned. To understand this concept, you have to think from Google's point of view, not the view of webmasters or SEOs.
    Internet Marketing Manager for a California SEO firm.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spence_noodle View Post
    Sorry it's off the topic but DMOZ is not dead, infact I've just read on the blog they are in actively working on a new DMOZ, story.

Thank you for the link to the blog.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Isn't BOTW Directory trying to purchase DMOZ?
    Internet Marketing Manager for a California SEO firm.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by broadspring View Post
    Isn't BOTW Directory trying to purchase DMOZ?
    I think this was just a "link baiting" article, and not reality. I'm pretty sure this is not going to happen, but I guess you never can be sure.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been saying this for months that directory submissions are no longer a part of link building unless its a niche related directory.

But back then everyone though i was a noob and a moron for not submitting to directories. And i'm the type of person to say I told you so! so

I TOLD YOU SO!
    Health Forums For healthy living information
    Nintendo Forums For Nintendo Fans

is craving 'the potato' slayerment's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's a lot of things that Google doesn't say you should do that work really well. Just because they omit it from their guidelines doesn't mean it's not effective .

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jpchasepoint View Post
    I've been saying this for months that directory submissions are no longer a part of link building unless its a niche related directory.
    It just makes sense to position yourself in your niche. I think there can be some benefits to submitting to well run general directories, but definitely look around and see if you can locate directories in your niche, because those will be much more effective, both from and SEO standpoint, and also from the standpoint of having links in front of people that are actually interested in a site like yours.

Quote Originally Posted by slayerment View Post
    There's a lot of things that Google doesn't say you should do that work really well. Just because they omit it from their guidelines doesn't mean it's not effective .
    One thing we can all agree on is links are a central part of google's algorithm, and getting good ones is not always easy, but getting none is not a strategy either. You have to start somewhere. General directory submissions will get you indexed, and even rank you for some easier key phrases. However, in today's environment, there is no quick way to ranking. It takes time, and a plan for quality.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well it was known fact
    last time for our one site...it showed that site was listed in around more than 100 directories....when we search for the sitename it showed...

but checking backlinks from google toolbar...there were not any directories...so seems like after social networkworking links...they are discounting directories....whats next?

may be now in directory world only paid one like geo ant will survive and they will try to disguise SE giving feeling that links from them is not from directories...lets see who wins..?

but directories can be source of direct visitor as well ...i have seen one of our site have more than 50 visitor each day from one famous niche directory...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was affected by this two months ago. One of client needed this but soon he replied not to do because directory link are no more good.

But still i think some of the directories are good. May be they no more help in SEO but they surely help in promotions and marketing...

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Guys,

Google has his own ways of arranging search results, and he will keep on changing their strategies / algorithms to make their search results more and more relevant, But link from niche directories will always remain good for any web site and the niche directories will definitely divert targeted traffic to sites. Only things to keep in mind is don't be wild for back links.

Andy