SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile My first JavaScript Web Game: World of Solitaire

Over the past 2 months I've been working on a new web based JavaScript game. It's not 100% complete yet, but I'd love to get some feedback!

It's an implementation of Solitaire using JavaScript and the Yahoo UI (YUI) JavaScript library.

The website URL is: http://worldofsolitaire.com

For those that don't feel like actually going, here is a screen shot:

It currently has 11 different variations of Solitaire including Canfield, FreeCell, Forty Thieves, Klondike, Pyramid, Spider and Yukon.
    I'm working on adding more.

I routinely test it to ensure it works okay using the following browsers: Firefox, Opera, IE 6, IE 7, Safari (win32), Seamonkey and Konqueror.

I've recently added an improved statistics feature:

Anyways, I'd love to hear any comments anyone might have

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice. Looks good. Default animation speed did not interfere with playing (mostly - I found that sometimes when turning over 3 cards one of them would not turn over for .5-1 sec. Not accepting the next click until the animation is finished would also be nice on occasion when you reach the end of the deck)

Can you seed the random number generator in JS? It would be nice if the site let you set which game you were playing by seeding the generator. I note the global stats tab - what storage do you have on the backend, file or db? With a db on the back end you could also track which games people had won and which they had failed.

My main concern would be search engine traffic given the lack of textual pages. What is your goal for this site? Do you want it to become popular or was it done purely for the joy of coding it? If you're aiming for it to become popular I would be thinking about how to add some textual pages to the site perhaps tutorials, hints and tips. (and if it does become popular and you need better hosting how are you intending to monetise it?)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow. Just wow. This must be one of the coolest uses of javascript that I've seen this year. Great job!

However, I suggest that you move the statistics to the right in the top bar, because its position now makes the navigation looks also like it's part of the statistics. I didn't realize it was actually navigation until I had to look around.

Either do that or just change the background color of the navigation links to something slightly different to make it noticable.

I also suggest that you change the cursor to either the four-way arrow or just leave it as it is (since that's how people are used to play solitaire).

Keep up the good work

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

Your site is too cool. Nice wooden appearance and bright color combination. Good use of javascript and works perfectly fine.
    Affordable Web Hosting - Only $3.95/mo.
    10,000 MB WebSpace, 100 GB Premium Bandwidth, Host 10 Domains
    Free Blog, POP3, PHP, SiteBuilder, Ecommerce, WebStats, FP Ext.
    Budget Reseller Hosting - Start Your Hosting Company - $25/mo.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Fremeere View Post
    Very nice. Looks good. Default animation speed did not interfere with playing (mostly - I found that sometimes when turning over 3 cards one of them would not turn over for .5-1 sec. Not accepting the next click until the animation is finished would also be nice on occasion when you reach the end of the deck)

Can you seed the random number generator in JS? It would be nice if the site let you set which game you were playing by seeding the generator. I note the global stats tab - what storage do you have on the backend, file or db? With a db on the back end you could also track which games people had won and which they had failed.
    Sadly random number generation in JavaScript is lacking. There is seeding as far as I'm aware. I could of course do that part server side, but then things could be slower and it would also tie the game to a server. As I intend to offer an 'offline' download so people can play offline. (Although it could fall back gracefully). I've added your suggestion to my to-do list and will look at it on a future date.

The stats are stored on the backend in a database. I already have entries for games people deal, abandon and win. I intend to expose this data at a future date in the statistics dialog.

Quote Originally Posted by Fremeere View Post
    My main concern would be search engine traffic given the lack of textual pages. What is your goal for this site? Do you want it to become popular or was it done purely for the joy of coding it? If you're aiming for it to become popular I would be thinking about how to add some textual pages to the site perhaps tutorials, hints and tips. (and if it does become popular and you need better hosting how are you intending to monetise it?)
    I mainly did it for fun. I also did it to show that it could be done (both to myself and others) and I always had hoped that people would play it and have fun.
    So as long as I bring joy to people who play the game, that's reward enough

I don't intend to try and monetize it in any way (not pay to play, not ads).
    Hopefully the server bills won't bankrupt me

I've added your ideas for tutorials, hints and tips to my to-do list as well.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Simply a great use of javascript, well done

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    very nice... good job^^

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you all for checking out the site and posting replies!

I really appreciate all the good comments and feedback

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice job
    using 800 x 600 screen size and firefox
    may want to make the cards a little larger for this screen size
    for games, I haven't seen double solitare very often
    dropdowns nice but a little large
    again nice job
    falcon