SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb PHP 4 vs PHP 5 and support for XML extensions

If you use XML technologies with PHP there is a strong argument for upgrading to PHP 5. The libxml library that is used to extend XML functionality in PHP is outdated for PHP 4. It consists of different incompatible modules. The libxml2 used with PHP 5 supports many of the XML related technologies.

XML and it's technologies also evolves, among them XQuery, XPath 2.0, XSLT 2.0 and XLink.

The following cite from the excellent book by Robert Richards (2006) "Pro PHP, XML and Web Services" page 157 may be relevant.

"Some new technologies are on the horizon in the XML realm. Though not yet standards, these technologies are already being used in commercial products."

We can only imagine PHP 6.0 with libxml3 and advanced XLink technologies that

"some people think will revolutionize Internet browsing

See page 159.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Growth of XML under PHP

It's great to see XML becoming more and more part of PHP mainstream. I develop mostly in PHP and XML, partly because I prefer xpath to sql, and partly because as a web developer I find xml can better reflect a websites hierarchical data structure better than a database.
    Even within PHP5 the support for xml grows, the simpleXml library has some new methods as of PHP 5.1.2 which make using the really nice and light simplexml library approach the Dom library in terms of usefulness. Before this simple xml was really just a read only library, but now we have addChild and others, we can start to manipulate the xml object so much better.
    I have started to use small simplexml objects as persistent site data objects to avoid repetitive disc access on xml based sites, or database access on MySQL based sites.
    Does anyone know of a better language for working with XML?

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My preferred platform would be Borland C++ Builder

"VCL for the Web lets you quickly and visually build interactive and responsive data-driven corporate Web applications that support Ajax techniques."

I have not used it since version 3. That was an outstanding developement platform. My be use that as the preferred platform and switch to PHP when you need an interpreter with code that can be embedded directly into the XML document.

For my current tasks, PHP is good enough.

As long as you get the job done in a reasonable time, the tool you know best, should perhaps be used. I personally see C#, Java, etc as simplified C++ even though C#'s Code Editor with its acceleration keys and IntelliSense feature dramatically increases your productivity. It is designed to make the development of your application much easier by helping you automatically generate code.

Generics reminds me of an article I read in C++ Report (or was it Journal Of Object Oriented Programming) some years ago. It was about "generic algorithms on function objects", quite general and efficient if you understood it. C# generics solves a lot of problems. Generics is a mechanism used to parameterize types (classes,interface etc.) with other types. It is C#'s solution to using function and class templates in C++.