SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast tiltawhirl's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question rentacoder.com - guru.com type sites

As a freelancer, I am wondering if others are using these types of sites to obtain clients. What other sites are there like this that you are using. Also any good tips you might have about becoming involved in using these types of sites to secure new projects.

Word Painter silver trophy Shyflower's Avatar
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I have used rentacoder in the past. Tips:

Don't worry about the competition. If you do quality work, you will find quality clients.

Check the feedback on the 'buyers' before you bid. If they were trouble in the past then they may be trouble for you to work with as well.

Be sure to check the time frames they expect for project completion. I've seen some buyers expect 20 thousand page e-books within 7 days.

Don't be limited in your bid by what they put in their brief. If they say 7 days and you know it will take 2 weeks (or a month, etc.) to complete their project, tell them and explain why.

Be concise in your bid. Tell them exactly what they can expect from you for their money. This helps define the project so that both you and your prospective client are on a level playing field.

Be 'professional' in your response to their RFP. Treat their bid request just as you would treat a request from a client who called you directly on the phone or stopped into your office (if you have one).

Don't do 'mockups' before they put their money on the table. If their request includes sample work, show them samples from your portfolio. I usually include a few samples or links to them whether they ask for them or not.
    Linda Jenkinson
    "Say what you mean. Mean what you say. But don't say it mean." ~Unknown

Night Elf silver trophybronze trophy Varelse's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    RentACoder is a good site when compared to its competitors - it offers many features, even though might be confusing for beginners.
    Other freelance sites worth checking are: GetAFreelancer, ScriptLance.

And if you liked Guru, check Elance too - these two sites seem to be the leaders of this market.
    FreelanceDaddy - freelancer's personal advisor
    █ Guide and advice for freelancers starting their career
    █ Over 1000 projects posted on freelance markets every day
    █ One-stop resource for online freelancing

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would say steer clear of GAF, stick to eLance and RentaCoder

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I am not a fan of GAF either. Try rentacoder.com or oDesk.com. Odesk is unique in they require the developers to install software that logs all their time and take screen shots of what they are doing and uploads them so you can see.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Biggest thing in submitting bids is to respond specifically to the project. Lots of coders or development companies just post a generic response "we are experts in PHP and MySQL", which doesn't inspire confidence in the buyers. If you respond to their specific project requirements, you'll have a much better chance of winning the project. Also, during the bidding stage, fast communication can really mean a lot - you can also get a sense for whether a buyer is really serious about a project or not by how quickly they respond to you in return.
    Check out sypad.com for outsourced development.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shyflower View Post
    I have used rentacoder in the past. Tips:

Don't worry about the competition. If you do quality work, you will find quality clients.

Check the feedback on the 'buyers' before you bid. If they were trouble in the past then they may be trouble for you to work with as well.

Be sure to check the time frames they expect for project completion. I've seen some buyers expect 20 thousand page e-books within 7 days.

Don't be limited in your bid by what they put in their brief. If they say 7 days and you know it will take 2 weeks (or a month, etc.) to complete their project, tell them and explain why.

Be concise in your bid. Tell them exactly what they can expect from you for their money. This helps define the project so that both you and your prospective client are on a level playing field.

Be 'professional' in your response to their RFP. Treat their bid request just as you would treat a request from a client who called you directly on the phone or stopped into your office (if you have one).

Don't do 'mockups' before they put their money on the table. If their request includes sample work, show them samples from your portfolio. I usually include a few samples or links to them whether they ask for them or not.
    That's wonderful tips Shyflower
    Thanks for sharing
    บบบ Free 1 GB Space + 30 GB Bandwidth with Reseller Hosting
    บบบ Windows Reseller Hosting | Linux Reseller Hosting
    บบบ Paypal & all major Credit Cards accepted.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am afraid I must disagree with the past posts in this thread.

One poster says 'dont worry about competition...if you do quality work'

When you post a bid response then no one knows if you are good or not. You have to know what to say to get that job and a general statement like "I am good" or "I am an expert" will not do it. All of the crooked Indian programming firms use the same lines and when a buyer sees that, they ignore the post.

Another poster said to respond specifically. YES, that is important. Buyers will ignore generic posts or form letters. You must tell the buyer what you can offer to their project specifically, not tell them you are a great guy who is an expert coder. Every 13 year old who read a book on visual basic thinks they are an expert coder.

I use rentacoder and elance as both a buyer of services and a coder. I hire others to help me with big jobs and sometimes I hire people to do things I am not so good at like PHP coding. Some of these guys are really smart and have libraries of code they can pull from which means they can do work in an hour that would take me a week. Using a rentacoder type site is really powerful if you are a buyer too. You can hire someone to write a program for $200 and then sell that software forever basically.

I cant take credit for begin a rac genius either. I learned how to post bids and hire coders from <snip>
    Just read over the site and you can pick up a lot of tips. If you are buying services or serious about working as a coder, get the manual too. It shows you how to post a bid that will get you hired and what you should not post(things that will get you blacklisted).

Overall, I love these rentacoder type sites and I am posting one or two jobs a week on them.
    Last edited by Varelse; Aug 10, 2008 at 17:59. Reason: url removed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JullianReed View Post
    I am afraid I must disagree with the past posts in this thread.

One poster says 'dont worry about competition...if you do quality work'

When you post a bid response then no one knows if you are good or not. You have to know what to say to get that job and a general statement like "I am good" or "I am an expert" will not do it. All of the crooked Indian programming firms use the same lines and when a buyer sees that, they ignore the post.

Another poster said to respond specifically. YES, that is important. Buyers will ignore generic posts or form letters. You must tell the buyer what you can offer to their project specifically, not tell them you are a great guy who is an expert coder. Every 13 year old who read a book on visual basic thinks they are an expert coder.

I use rentacoder and elance as both a buyer of services and a coder. I hire others to help me with big jobs and sometimes I hire people to do things I am not so good at like PHP coding. Some of these guys are really smart and have libraries of code they can pull from which means they can do work in an hour that would take me a week. Using a rentacoder type site is really powerful if you are a buyer too. You can hire someone to write a program for $200 and then sell that software forever basically.

I cant take credit for begin a rac genius either. I learned how to post bids and hire coders from <snip>
    Just read over the site and you can pick up a lot of tips. If you are buying services or serious about working as a coder, get the manual too. It shows you how to post a bid that will get you hired and what you should not post(things that will get you blacklisted).

Overall, I love these rentacoder type sites and I am posting one or two jobs a week on them.
    I am a newbie in freelancer world, nice tips, thanks.

Night Elf silver trophybronze trophy Varelse's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sherl0ck View Post
    I am a newbie in freelancer world, nice tips, thanks.
    Two things will help you with winning the projects on freelance sites:
    1. Very good knowledge of the site's rules, so you don't do anything inappropriate (post your contact information, miss a deadline or stage report, etc.)
    2. Common sense and putting yourself in a buyer's position - so you make your bid/offer look more professional and personalized and stand out from all the copied&pasted bid comments that are so easy to spot by an experienced buyer.

Of course there are much more detailed tips, but these two general ones should help you in a good start. Good luck.
    FreelanceDaddy - freelancer's personal advisor
    █ Guide and advice for freelancers starting their career
    █ Over 1000 projects posted on freelance markets every day
    █ One-stop resource for online freelancing

SitePoint Zealot OrangeCreative's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will throw in a few other sites:
    http://www.joomlancers.com/ (not only for Joomla! projects)
    http://www.designquote.net/ (don't really like the concept)
    http://www.directfreelance.com/projects.aspx
    http://programmermeetdesigner.com/ (this is my favorite!)

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for the information.