User Tag List

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation YPN Wasting Advertiser Dollars

I am getting really mad at Yahoo. I gave them a try, instead of using Google Adwords (which I always use). I have a service that is for business professionals in the real estate market. So I started my campaign and I got alot of clicks but not much conversion, not even close to where AdWords was. I thought this was just a fluke and didn't give it another thought, until I ran into several Myspace-related sites that were displaying my ad, even worse, they were displaying next to images of things that had nothing to do with my ad. I was seriously pissed, so this is where my advertising dollars were being spent, on MySpacers who absolutely had no interested in my product?

After doing some research, I found there was an article on the YPN blog that said they had banned websites with poor-quality/myspace traffic. Yet the website where I saw my ads being displayed are still using YPN. Upon further investigation, I realized how big these websites are and how much money advertisers are losing as a result of these websites.

http://www.myspacesupport.com - 10k ALEXA
    http://mypimpspace.com/ - 14k
    those are some of the biggest I found

Are advertisers/YPN still aware the problem exists? Are they going to take necessary measures to fix it? Have anyother advertisers had a problem with this? Let me know.

As of now, my campaigns are paused and I have asked for a refund of funds that are currently in my Yahoo account, maybe I can get a refund on what I spent? (probably not)

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been reporting sites for months with almost no reaction from YPN *or* Google, including myspacesupport.com (reported 13 days ago).

Try and get your money back and find another way to advertise. Till G & Y stop quietly condoning ******** behaviour from publishers they're not worth using. Particularly YPN since any category's "fair game". I've seen generic myspace sites concealing ads for everything from dell/hp servers, real estate, stock market, tertiary education, health and more.

Having commented on their blog a number of times, been contacted for unrelated reasons and even had a question cited to me + answered (about how/when people can finally report these losers) in one of their blog posts, I'd say they're completely aware of the situation, they just don't care.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How about you talk to the man behind the site instead of putting their account in hand, you don't know if their income consists of internet revenue only or how much work they put into it. How about you contact the owner of MSS or MPS isntead of reporting them? That is just cruel.

I run Myspacesupport.com, and thanks for putting my account in jeopardy. I would also like to consider my sites one of the most legit myspace sites that don't display crap ads, nor images next to ads.

I have a family to support, so thanks a lot guys.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ecaandrew
    How about you talk to the man behind the site instead of putting their account in hand, you don't know if their income consists of internet revenue only or how much work they put into it. How about you contact the owner of MSS or MPS isntead of reporting them? That is just cruel.

I run Myspacesupport.com, and thanks for putting my account in jeopardy. I would also like to consider my sites one of the most legit myspace sites that don't display crap ads, nor images next to ads.

I Agree with this guy somewhat...IT would have been nicer to contact the webmaster/owner first, then take all neccesery precautions if no action is performed. I myself invest a lot in several campaigns, health related.
    When we are unable to find tranquility within ourselves,
    it is useless to seek it elsewhere.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What kind of ads are you buying?

We're NOT targeting real estate , financial ads or whatever.

We're only targeting the few most related ad categories such as Educations, Career, Movies, and Music.

If you're unhappy about it, you can give me your ad's URL and I will block you off my site so your ads won't appear there.
    » Myspace Codes
    Terry J. Z.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I could care less. Honestly. It's a trashy made for ads site and nothing else. Like the OP said, it just pisses his money away too.

If that's the best you can do for your family then you've got bigger problems.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fkr
    I could care less. Honestly. It's a trashy made for ads site and nothing else. Like the OP said, it just pisses his money away too.

If that's the best you can do for your family then you've got bigger problems.
    Your a jerk. You have no respect, and btw, I don't target real estate Ads.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your a jerk. You have no respect, and btw, I don't target real estate Ads.
    Meh. I'm at peace with my jerkiness.

As for respect, want a medal? You uploaded one of those generic-assed myspace sites like 20,000,000 other people. Congratulations.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with you fkr. I feel no pitty for sites that use ad blending to where it tricks users to clicking on their ads. This guy is upset his account might be banned due to his inability to follow the TOS and he wants to point the finger at someone else and at the same time has no worries what so ever about the advertisers that advertise with YPN - who cares about them just so long as he's making money... well boohoo sites like this needs to get what they got coming to them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Meh. I'm at peace with my jerkiness.

As for respect, want a medal? You uploaded one of those generic-assed myspace sites like 20,000,000 other people. Congratulations.

We're one of the originals, the other 20,000,000 other people literarily copied us

While you're being an a-hole, you wouldn't even reveal which site are you "spending money" to advertise on

I really would love to see how "useful" is the site you're advertising , or are you just one of those 20,000,000 people who try to spend some money to get some quick traffic and earn some quick cash.
    » Myspace Codes
    Terry J. Z.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neoenvision
    We're one of the originals, the other 20,000,000 other people literarily copied us
    lol, of course.

While you're being an a-hole, you wouldn't even reveal which site are you "spending money" to advertise on
    At any one time I have ~20 adwords campaigns going, mostly for clients though usually 3 or 4 for sites of mine.

I really would love to see how "useful" is the site you're advertising , or are you just one of those 20,000,000 people who try to spend some money to get some quick traffic and earn some quick cash.
    Yeah, I'm going to give a bunch of angsty kids my urls, or better yet my clients'.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb Checkmate vs. Yahoo! Class Action Settlement

I just got this. Apparently, Checkmate is suing Yahoo in a class action suit for the following reasons:
    Plaintiff Checkmate Strategic Group, Inc. claims that Yahoo! has breached its contracts with Class Person and committed unfair business practices under California Business & Professions Code § 17200 et seq., including improperly collecting revenue by charging and/or overcharging Class Persons for clicks that were click fraud, click through fraud, fraudulent clicks, click spam, invalid clicks, unwanted clicks, unqualified clicks, improper clicks, non-converting clicks, inadequately converting clicks, clicks that were not reasonably expected by Class Persons or otherwise claimed by Class Persons as clicks for which Class Persons should not have been charged, and improperly collecting revenue by charging and/or overcharging Class Persons for clicks where users did not actively choose the Class Persons’ listings (hereinafter "Challenged Clicks").

I did not include the whole thing as I don't know if I should. If you advertised with Yahoo between January 1, 1998 and July 31, 2006 (big range) then you should of received the email as well.

Could this be due to all the low-qualtiy visitor websites that are displaying non-converting ads (MySpace sites)? If Yahoo loses, this could mean big changes to their YPN program and maybe they will really start getting serious about who is displaying their ads.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by humdrum1
    Could this be due to all the low-qualtiy visitor websites that are displaying non-converting ads (MySpace sites)? If Yahoo loses, this could mean big changes to their YPN program and maybe they will really start getting serious about who is displaying their ads.
    Specifically mentions unwanted/unqualified clicks suggests the trash sites that disguise ads (nb: I'm not accusing the 2 mentioned sites of disguising ads, just of being trash ) I wouldn't be surprised to see a major shakeup will occur with YPN soon, hopefully including manually, *properly* reviewing sites.

The only way they can beat Google is if they provide better traffic to advertisers, same goes for MS and of course Google if they want to keep their lead.

It'll be interesting to see who loses their advertisers first.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's more likely you guys just want our sites to die instead of getting mad at spending money for unwanted clicks

I offered a quick solution for you to provide me your advertised sites so that I can block your ads, and you just keep insisting how shi*tty our site is instead of trying to find a solution, I doubt you're really an advertiser.

and if your "not-so-trashy" sites that you advertise are so good so useful, people will go to your site and spend money to buy your "not-so-trashy" product or whatever.

I only run education ads and software ads, I see all kinds of "web design school" , "photoshop tutorial" ads displaying on my site, and that's completely related to the site. and we barely switched to Toys, not the whatever realty ads you're talking about, if you see any of them, that's YPN's system problem, because they're in "BETA"

Do you need me to explain to you what's BETA? hope not

but if it's such a big deal to you , why not give us your links so we can prevent displaying your ad?
    » Myspace Codes
    Terry J. Z.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well said neo

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb What a joke.

Actually I don't care what happens to your site.

The reason I am just not contacting you and asking my URL be blocked (even though I am no longer advertising with Yahoo) is because this is part of a bigger problem. Surely, all advertisers aren't aware what is happening (especially the larger ones) and it needs to be addressed by contacting Yahoo, not you.

"and if your "not-so-trashy" sites that you advertise are so good so useful, people will go to your site and spend money to buy your "not-so-trashy" product or whatever." - well spoken

Your ad layouts say it all. You have one 728x90 at the top. And then you have two 300x250's side by side. I seriously have seen this only on websites that are trying to push clicks on their users (MySpace sites). If ads are a predominate part of the top half of your page, then they are no longer benefitting the user (which contextual advertising is supposed to do).

Secondly you say the ads you are displaying now benefit your users. MySpace users are a mix of people ranging from 13-25 years of age. Here are the ads I've seen, "Get a Masters Degree", "RAM Building Design Software", "Iteration 2 Microsoft Gold Standard", "School Computer - Dell.com", Powerful XML Editing Tool", "Web Design School".

Half of these ads, I don't even know what they mean (I'm guessing your users don't know either). The other half, although they may apply to a small percentage of your visitors, they are not meant to be targetted on your website. Just because a website gets a few people who may be interseted in "Web Design School", doesn't make it a reason to advertise it on the website. Only websites which target people who want to do "Web Design" as a career should have these ads.

I'd be interested to see the conversion ratios for these MySpace sites, I am guranteeing they are horrendous. If you are going to try to refute me on that, then you are just kidding yourself.

Don't pretend like Yahoo Ads are the only way your sites can survive, there are still traditional mediums such as Fastclick, Tribal, Casasle, and of course Google (which will target your visitors better). With your Alexa, you can easily make +$700 daily with these ads. Not enough to keep your family going?

What a joke.

It's more likely you guys just want our sites to die instead of getting mad at spending money for unwanted clicks

I offered a quick solution for you to provide me your advertised sites so that I can block your ads, and you just keep insisting how shi*tty our site is instead of trying to find a solution, I doubt you're really an advertiser.

and if your "not-so-trashy" sites that you advertise are so good so useful, people will go to your site and spend money to buy your "not-so-trashy" product or whatever.

I only run education ads and software ads, I see all kinds of "web design school" , "photoshop tutorial" ads displaying on my site, and that's completely related to the site. and we barely switched to Toys, not the whatever realty ads you're talking about, if you see any of them, that's YPN's system problem, because they're in "BETA"

Do you need me to explain to you what's BETA? hope not

but if it's such a big deal to you , why not give us your links so we can prevent displaying your ad?

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The world would be a sadder place without the valuable and, unique and necessary service you provide that 20,000,000 others' also provide. Or something ... umm ... actually I could really care less. Overloading a made for ads site full of ads is the problem, not the future of that site.

The solution really is for YPN to ban or stop displaying ads on trash sites. They've got no choice about it, it's just a matter of when they'll get around to it.

I love the way you want to make this a "trash advertising trash" thing ... like that will somehow justify what you do lol.

You pick the categories .. I don't see how that makes it YPN's fault. I would have thought a lack of relevant categories seems like a good indication that your site's not suitable.

Just block everything. It's immoral to waste any advertiser's time and money "even if they don't know".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't talk if you don't even have the guts to reveal the site you're advertising

we could also careless about you, go ahead and report, if you're even really an advertiser

I bet you're also one of those providing services 200000000000 other companies do, THAT'S WHY YOU NEED TO PAY FOR ADVERTISING , smarty
    » Myspace Codes
    Terry J. Z.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    humdrum1, YPN is not the only place to advertise either, if you don't think it's right for you, then don't do it

"you chooose the category, don't act like it's yahoo's fault"

next time before you say it, do a better research first
    all we're targeting is toys and music at the moment when you look at our sites, and the those other ads you see there is because YPN's targeting system "thinks" they are revelent.

and apparently they're a BETA system, why not advertising on google adsense you're not happy with YPN?
    » Myspace Codes
    Terry J. Z.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    btw, END conversation here. no interest to talk to you guys no more
    do whatever you wanna do , have fun
    » Myspace Codes
    Terry J. Z.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    btw, END conversation here. no interest to talk to you guys no more
    do whatever you wanna do , have fun
    You're welcome to stop responding at any time.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't talk if you don't even have the guts to reveal the site you're advertising
    lol, you justify your trash site by assuming the sites that advertise on it are equally trash. That cracks me up.

we could also careless about you, go ahead and report, if you're even really an advertiser
    Done.

I bet you're also one of those providing services 200000000000 other companies do, THAT'S WHY YOU NEED TO PAY FOR ADVERTISING , smarty
    Yes, that's what advertising and marketing must be all about heh. You crack me up.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i'm not going to get into the middle of this argument but i will say that i ran YPN on some of my sites and did no targetting at all...i allowed YPN to choose the ads just like adsense and i saw some extremely off-topic ads.

YPN has touched on this topic on their own blog (www.ypnblog.com).

they have said that they do not always have the ad inventory to put targetted ads so they will show ROS (run-of-site) ads. seems that as long as someone does not have images next to their ads and does proper targetting, if YPN is showing irrelevant ads, its a problem with YPN, not the website owner.

per YPN:

Inappropriate targeting, the subject of Rule 9, made one reader wonder why he sometimes sees ads for General Electric stocks on his cooking site, even though he uses appropriate targeting (food, appliances). The answer is that sometimes the ad inventory is not on hand to fill every niche, so we display what we call “run of network ads”.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank God finally someone who understands what's going on
    » Myspace Codes
    Terry J. Z.

SitePoint Enthusiast homesonsale's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    humdrum1 - I feel for you! Do YPN offer the option to not show ads on content sites like Google? This would mean your ads only show on their search pages and not the poor quality sites you mention?

neoenvision, don't confuse FKR with being an advertiser he never said he was! I think he is fighting for advertisers and he percieves myspace sites drain the advertisers budget.

I have seen (I think) his blog he's pretty upset with the way myspace sites disguise ads ....