SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Programming lang does yahoo and google use?

Is it ASP for yahoo and PHP for google?

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh no no no A mix of many languages, really. Yahoo! is currently hiring experienced PHP, ASP.NET, VB, PHP and DHTML/AJAX developers.

A lot of Google's oldest code is definitely written in Python. You'll see some of it make it to the public as well, like their Python sitemap generator. They actively look for C++ developers so that must be behind a lot of their code as well.

If you looked at Google's job listings 3 or 4 years ago, almost every listing required experience with Python.

Former Galactic Overlord gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy HAWK's Avatar
    Mentioned
    987 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd say Yahoo was biased toward PHP.
    I think they're providing a fair bit of effort getting unicode into PHP6.

They employ some of the big names in php internal development. Rasmus, Andrei Zmievski and Sara Goleman, are the people I'm aware of.

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They have a nice PHP section in their Developer Network site

But most of their site is not PHP. At least, before the redesign. Now I can't tell.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Google definitely uses Python. Last I heard, Guido Van Rossum works for them. Google uses quite a bit of Java internally as well. One of their programmers is one of the guys on the Java Posse podcast and he talks about them a good bit. Also witness the recently released Google Web Toolkit which "compiles" Java into Javascript + DHTML. And no doubt a company as large as they are are going to have tons of C/C++ code and probably a smattering of half a dozen other languages as well (there may even be some Perl floating around there...)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Back in 2002, Yahoo! said they were switching their web scripting from a proprietary language written in C/C++ to PHP. Here are a number of presentations about the switch over the last 4 years:

http://public.yahoo.com/~radwin/talks/

throw me a bone ... now bonefry's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Google uses Java alot ... GMail being the most popular example.

Google also uses C/C++ for their backends, and Python for alot of internal stuff.
    Of course, they use lots of other platforms and languages, but these are the most popular at Google.