1and1

it's a baaaaad idea don't do it!
    tech support was awful, just plain awful

but hopefully they'll honor their 90 day money back garauntee

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You don't go to 1 and 1 for tech support. They are essentially the WalMart of web hosting.
    Using your unpaid time to add free content to SitePoint Pty Ltd's portfolio?

SitePoint Enthusiast troglodite's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oh man... it was late, i had a few beers and... well the more you drink the better that company looked lol

i had been searching different hosting sites for hours last night and it was the first one that was 'upfront' about their prices.

but the whole thing felt ... candy coated. the admin panel was awful, and everything made you feel like you were a number. I had trouble changing some php settings with .htaccess and the tech support was like talking to a walmart greeter person (not that ALL walmart greeters are bad, maybe just in my home town )

Anywho, I feel violated. After a few cups of coffee this morning I cancelled. It felt good for closure.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From a curiousity perspective - I'm wondering if you could add to what you were saying about hosting companies not being 'upfront' with their prices. Were you finding lots of companies that had 'hidden' costs, and the like - or was pricing just hard to find for the type of hosting you were looking for.

SitePoint Enthusiast troglodite's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was referring to how they would advertise prices/mo on the homepage but half way through the sign up process you find out that you have to pay for 12/24 mo in advance, and there is a higher /mo fee an activation fee for quarterly or monthly.

One site had a gabillion space, domain names and bandwith for a nice price then they drop the news on you right at the end that if you want more than 3 databases you had to fork over another $40.

I don't mind the prices too much but if they need to be sly or 'slightly deceptive' or misleading right at the signup then it just starts out with a bad taste in my mouth.

Hostgator.com is who I finally went with this morning. Tech support was a little... 'touchy' on the phone but VERY responsive and quick via email (which is what the lady on the phone said to do). So I have mixed impressions on the support, or ... just don't call them - only email. But anyway the price and features are great.

The only hiccup I noticed is htaccess is a bit borked (read: doesn't work) and they wouldn't let me edit php settings until I had a dedicated server.

My buddy is trying hostmonster and the tech support was a *little* unhelpful, couldn't get the ftp working - outside of the userpanel.

anyways - just my observations. =]

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks much for the answer. I see what you mean - I hadn't realized how many hosts were pulling the "only $x.95 per month" ... and forcing a yearly signup for that price. After reading your reply I went surfing for a bit ... and sure enough, it's pretty common.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've read about 1and1 in every PC Mag, but haven't even looked at the site. I'll stick to HostingZoom