SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Thread: Sound Off

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sound Off

Hey all you ColdFusion junkies, wannabe junkies and old hats! Use this thread to tell me all about you and your experiences with ColdFusion. I want to hear the good, the bad, the ugly. What made you laugh, cry or just stand up and shout!

If it's about you, and it's ColdFusion related i want to hear it, and Iím sure so does the rest of the community. So let's get together and turn this into an old fashion meet and greet!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Care to hear from a washed up old blogger?

ColdFusion for me will still be a viable solution for some projects. It will mainly depend on the project requirements, but especially where rapid development is concerned.

Other than that, I'll be moving on from CF. Since I was appointed to handle special projects at my 9-5, I've used .Net almost exclusively. I'm moving many CF based processes to Windows services written in C#. The reason? Well, there are several. Even CFMX's XML capabilities are still quite limiting. They're not nearly as full-featured or integrated as they should be. And as ubiquitous as XML has become, CF can't afford for XML to be an after thought, as it seems to be in MX.

Another reason is that the web is simply an inefficient way to run back-end processes in many cases. Having to tunnel through that HTTP layer can cause some serious latency issues in the past, especially if you're dealing with manipulating or transferring large files or large numbers of files. Sometimes things are better off running in other environments. This would be the case whether I was coding an app in ASP, PHP, or JSP, though.

ColdFusion also has the disadvantage of hosting issues. All of us CF developers are most likely aware that when it comes to hosting, you can find a reliable PHP host for $5/month but a reliable CF host will cost you $15. (Note the keyword: reliable.)

Don't get me wrong, CF is a great product and a great language and has saved me enormous amounts of time, energy, and money. It's still heavily in use at my 9-5 gig (500,000 lines and growing).

Anyway, my $.02...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heh, been a LONG time since I showed my face here at SitePoint, but thanks to an invite from Jonesee I've made it back. Things look like they've turned out pretty good so far!

I've been working with CF since 1999 when I was hired to build a simple online directory for a local advertising company. Since then I have gotten into some of the more advanced challenges, mainly on the intranet and B2B side of things. Some of my exploits include:

- EDI integration for a Fortune 50 company's ordering system.
    - Legacy data tracking integration including an "offline" data file import tool.
    - Catalogs of every shape and size.
    - Project and Time management utilites.
    - Resource tracking and management tools for commodities traders.

Right now I'm technically a freelancer - I work on a contract basis for a number of different clients on a number of different projects. I also have some things that I'm working on to release to the general public, hopefully by the 4th quarter of this year... can't get more detailed about that tho I'm also teaching part time at ITT Tech.

That being said I'll agree - partially - with davidjmedlock on a couple of things. The web is NOT the best resource for all things online. You have to use the right tool for the job and there is no sence trying to pound a square peg into a round hole just for the sake of using what you like.

My local dev. environment supports CFMX and PHP right now... if I can find the time and a way to add .NET support to Apache2 running on WinXP Home then maybe I'll start teaching myself those things as well.

Hatton