I'm Federal, but a lot of state and local (as well as other Federal) agencies view our site.
We're using a template that a bunch of us created over the course of many months, and as time has worn on and we've gotten better with CSS, it's clear that we did a lot of things with divs that we didn't need to. Example:
Which probably could have been handled with:
But with around 50,000 pages using the new template, and a few thousand left to convert, fiddling with is is not a high priority, especially since any changes to the template would require changes to our CMS (because the CMS can create new pages with a click). Maybe once we get all the pages converted, I'll look into cleaning up the CSS and "de-div'ing".
Your solution was impressive though, and I've filed it away for the second I get the go-ahead to ditch IE7 support. But at the rate of gov't, I might be retired first!