Very strange browser/host connection!

Okay this is very strange…

I use CODA to write all my markup and program my sites.

I created a new file and made it a new css file. When I try editing this file and saving it back to the host the browser doesnt reflect the changes.

For example I made a width change from 400px to 800px.

Nothing happened, so I decided to open up CyberDuck(FTP) and check to make sure that CODA was in fact receiving the changes. It was 800px, so nothing wrong with CODA writing to the host server.

However when I checked out Firebug and Chrome’s developer tools, and even ‘view source’, it had the width as 400px…

How this technically possible?! The CSS file on the host has the correct information, yet the browser is not displaying it correctly??? (I tried 3 diff browsers too!)

Oh yeah and I just deleted the CSS file, went to my host website (fatcow), went to the file manager and the file was gone.

Went back to firefox hit refresh like 5 times, clicked on view source and it still was using the CSS file that I had deleted!!??

How is this possible?!

Went back to firefox hit refresh like 5 times, clicked on view source and it still was using the CSS file that I had deleted!!??

That could be local cache. I recommend you to wait and then check again. Also make sure your cookies are cleared before your next try.

I tried this on another computer that had never gone to the site before, so there was def no cache on that computer and it still wasnt working.

Things finally work after a couple of hours…but this is unacceptable. When I code I hit save and refresh my browsers hundreds of times to see the reflected changes…

The only thing I can make out of this is, the hosting company has some type of time delay with getting my files posted appropriately…still it’s far fetched

I believe that all updates on the server are instant, unless they are running by cron.
In any way I believe that would be absolutely correct to contact your web hosting provider and ask them to get the problem solved.

I think it’s the hosting company that has a problem

Lets hope i’ve already spent hours trying to figure out what the hell is going on.

The only thing I can make out of this is, the hosting company has some type of time delay with getting my files posted appropriately…still it’s far fetched

Actually, I think that’s the most likely explanation for the behavior, and knowing that Fatcow puts things like database creation or CMS installation in a queue, it would not be impossible to imagine that file operations end up in some sort of queue as well, before they show to the world the new situation. Maybe they have some sort of proxy with a cache in place?

Well I called T-Support, his immediate response was it was a cache thing, however I told him I tried it on another a computer. I was advised to open a ticket through their website detailing everything. He said something about maybe there is a server cache or something…

I tried other websites I have, that our through different hosting companies, and those are all updating just fine, so I’m going to give this host an ultimatum, if they can’t fix this soon, I’m heading elsewhere…

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Support.

We use Varnish Caching technology. Hence, your website may not display the changes immediately. You need to add following codes in the .htaccess file to disable the caching:
<Files *>
Header set Cache-Control: “private, pre-check=0, post-check=0, max-age=0”
Header set Expires: 0
Header set Pragma: no-cache
</Files>
You need to make sure that you have cleared the browser cache and cookies before checking your updated website.
If your ISP uses Proxy Cache technology, your old website will be stored in your ISP’s proxy server. You need to contact your ISP and clear the cache.

Well I’ll give this a trey, I have no idea what this .htaccess file is or where it’s located, I didn’t find it in my site root so I’ll have to email them again.

Welcome to locally cached data - when loading the site, to FORCE a full fresh of any data (images, styles, pages) use the key combination Ctrl + F5.

This won’t always work, due to other caches between you and it, but most of the time it should.

The file will be in your site’s root directlry. The dot on the front means it is a hidden file.

Thanks for the advice!

The file was never there, so they had to create it, and then I put the code in it.

Everything is working now!!! Ugh what a headache…