Updated name server

Hi

So I was testing a site installed in a subdomain with an add-on domain hosted by the webhost. The domain registrar is another company and I updated the name server settings to reflect those of the dns and webhost - the homepage resolves correctly but the pages all can not be found.

I can navigate through the site successfully using a browser and the sub-domain name, but with the add-on domain name only the homepage loads.

Does this make sense?
Please help!

Emails are working fine.

Thanks!

Checked nslookup and found that it is constantly switching between old and new - and this probably has caused the effect I described above. I’ll wait for 24 -48 hours and test again. :slight_smile:

Sorry, I don’t understand what is your problem. You were saying you wish to point the sub-domain to your add-on domain?

Yes I moved the dns from one server to a new server and put the site in a subfolder in the new server.

Everything has resolved itself including the domain infact - propagation appears to have enabled the domain name to resolve to the correct ip and now all the subpages and everything works as it should!

However it has taken 24 hours and after 18 hours it was roughly divided resolving 50-50 between old and new ip addresses which seems a long time but there it is!

I have seen occassions when it has taken a complete 72 hours to stabilize and point to the new server. It happens. But yes, 24 hours is the norm. If you are lucky, happens in 12 hours and stabilizes thereafter too.

Depends on the DNS refreshing of the new host.

I can navigate through the site successfully using a browser and the sub-domain name, but with the add-on domain name only the homepage loads.

You are the one who know that domain name you are using is addon. For other people that appears as ordinary domain name.
So if that is not working properly that will not work. However DNS system is inert and that might take up 72 hours when DNS settings will be adjusted.
I suppose till that moment that worth to wait.