Before we get started today, a general service announcement:
All you have to do is post the most valuable new topic or response in the Month of June. Seriously. That easy.
And now it’s on with the show …
Top of the Hour
- Prototypes are Objects (and why that matters) — Reginald Braithwaite with the lowdown
- What is Code? — A story devoted to demystifying code and the culture of the people who make it
Testing / Debugging
- AngularJS Testing: Bootstrap Blocks, Routes, Events, and Animations — Ravi Kiran with some useful tips and tricks
- Tutorial: debugging Node.js apps on Passenger — Passenger is compatible with Node.js debugging tools such as the builtin Node.js debugger and node-inspector.
- Testing, the way it should be — Cypress is a test engine that runs unit and integration tests in your browser.
- Wallaby.js - an intelligent test runner — Wallaby runs your tests as you type and displays various results
- Building a User Avatar Component With Node.js & TransloadIt — Implementing image resizing with a third party service.
- Rapid Local Development with Vagrant, Docker and Node.js —Using a cascade of Vagrant shared directories, Docker volumes and cleverly placed symlinks, you can rig Vagrant and Docker to instantly reflect your local application code updates.
- How I Survived My Baptism Of Fire With Node.js — A developer shares his experiences of being thrown into a fast-paced Node, Seneca and Angular-based project for a client
- Building With Node.js At The New York Times — An Interview with Felipe Silva
- How to Speed Up Meteor Development — By using scaffolding and automatic form generation
- New io.js Features You May Not Be Using — Includes ES6 features, simpler stream construction, Buffer#indexOf, module preloading, and more.
- A Simple Gulp’y Workflow For Sass — Speeding up a Rails app by embracing the speed of LibSass
- Grunt.js: Custom Tasks — While there are a lot of great plugins for grunt sometimes you need something custom.
- Introduction to Grunt.js — Why use Grunt? In one word? Automation.
- grunt-purifycss — A useful grunt plugin to remove unused CSS from your files
- Get up and running with Gulp for beginners — This post assumes that the reader has never used a task runner before, so it will walk through each step required to get started with Gulp.
- Brunch?! What’s Brunch? — Part of The Brunch.io Guide. Replace gulp / grunt and increase your dev speed.
- Setting up an ES6 Project Using Babel and Browserify — Ritesh Kumar shows us how
- ES6 In Depth: Symbols — Part of Mozilla’s ES6 series
- ES6 In Depth: Arrow functions — Part of Mozilla’s ES6 series
- Why Destructuring is a Terrible Idea in ES6 — Destructuring is a concept introduced in ES6 that allows developers to destructure objects into variables without explicitly setting a variable to the object key/val
- ECMAScript 6 Power Tutorial: Class and Inheritance — From the guys at MicroSoft
- ES6 Promises with Firebase — How to handle data transaction and storage with a remote flat-file database in today’s promising ES6 world
- Announcing “Exploring ES6” —A new book by Dr. Axel Rauschmayer. The complete contents of the book are available online, for free.