Yes, I need to also remove /Westeros/ from that. If it was just Search, I could have created its own template group, but I have a number of templates that need to display right after the domain and adding a template group for each just didn't seem ideal. So, on EE 1 I set them all up in the Westeros template group and used .htaccess to remove the group and it worked just fine. But, that's no longer the case now that I have upgraded to EE 2.
The other issue is with pages, where I also added in a site-identifier as part of the URI (I run multiple sites off one EE install, and since two pages cannot have the same URI, I needed to separate them out) and used .htaccess to remove that part. That, too, worked in EE 1 but breaks in EE 2.
In part, I am just trying to figure out why it breaks now and if there's any work-around that allows me to keep my current URLs, since anything else would mean a lot of restructuring of the site. I am told by others that the example I posted before dklynn's post should work, and as far as I can tell, it also removes the template group, so that would suggest this is still doable in EE 2.