Empty element!

hi all!
I am new to website development and i am learning HTML. when i was reading about it; i come to know this term EMpty element but it is not defined properly.

I wonder if you could explain that to me?

Element types that are designed to have no content are called ‘empty’ elements.

Examples include (but are not limited to) a line break, <br> and a horizontal rule, <hr>

For refs, see the Elements section of the W3 spec for HTML 4.01 (Empty elements are marked by an E).

Differences in XHTML 1.0.

thanks a lot for your help :slight_smile:

I guess you could also add elements that are not technically ‘empty’ elements, but which have been left empty by the author, such as an empty <p></p> element. But in this case it’s not a class of element so much as the state of an element. (I just made that up, but it sounds cool. :smiley: )

This is why HTML now calls <br> and friends for “void” elements. :slight_smile:

I also wondered where the term “replaced” elements fits in, for things like images. Is it technical term or not, as it wasn’t included in Victorinox’s link above?

Replaced elements is a CSS term, not an HTML term. See:


Ah thanks. I should have looked it up first. :blush:

The terms empty element and void were discussed a while back in this thread.

thanks once again for such a deep help. i would never have done that myself… you do not know me :smiley: