I have two domains that are due for renewal later this year that I decided I would renew now so as to not forget them later (also because it will bring forward the expenses into the company accounts for this financial year (which ends on 30th June) and so reduce the amount of tax payable this year.
I have a reasonable amount of money currently sitting in the company Paypal account and the domain registrar offers paypal as a payment option so I thought that it would be relatively straightforward to carry out this transaction. Not so. As soon as I get to the point where I have logged into Paypal I get stuck in a loop between two pages - one page offers the option of paying by Paypal or echeck but has the echeck option disabled, the second page that I get to when I select to pay by Paypal asks me to enter credit card details (and the company doesn't have a credit card).
The registrar blames Paypal and has told me that Paypal require for there to be a credit card attached to all Paypal accounts.
Paypal have told me that there is no such requirement.
Paypal has also told me that:
1. The seller has full control over what is blocked and so must have blocked the direct payment option.
2. That where the Paypal account has a sufficient balance in the right currency that the balance in the Paypal account will be used for the purchase rather than using credit card or echeck.
3. There is an option to block echeck payments (as they can require several days to clear) - which I knew.
4. There is no option to block direct payment using the balance in the Paypal account.
5. There is no bug in their processing that would cause blocking echeck payments to block any other types of payments.
The domain registrar is using the option to block echeck payments.
I have open tickets with both the registrar and Paypal going around in circles with this contradictory information.
Does anyone have a suggestion as to how I can either get past this block that supposedly doesn't exist so as to renew the domains with the current registrar or alternatively can anyone suggest an alternative reasonably priced registrar for .com and .net domains who will accept a direct payment from my Paypal account to pay for the domains that will not result in my being asked to add a credit card to the Paypal account.