Facebook fan pages aren’t just for large corporations interested in getting involved in social media. Small businesses, entrepreneurs, freelancers and other professionals can benefit from having a fan page on Facebook.
Separate from your personal profile, a Facebook fan page is a public profile that lets you share your products, services and related information with other Facebook users. Here are some of the biggest reasons you should create a fan page today.
12 Reasons You Need a Facebook Fan Page
- There isn’t a limit to the number of fans you can have. This makes fan pages especially valuable for Facebook users who reach, or are approaching, the 5,000 friend limit.
- It’s free.
- It gives you a way to talk to and get feedback from your target audience, because like a user profile, you can update your fans with statuses that will appear in the news feed.
- You can promote events.
- It’s an SEO boost. Facebook is currently the second most popular site on the Web according to Alexa.
- You can customize the design using FBML, Facebook’s version of HTML. Check out the Static FBML app for more.
- You can create brand advocates.
- You can easily promote it with tools provided by Facebook.
- The Facebook Pages Insights analytics tool gives you useful information about your fans and their interactions.
- You can build a community for your clients and prospects.
- It’s another funnel to your website.
- You can add unlimited photos and videos.
5 Easy Steps for Creating a Facebook Fan Page
Step 1: Go to http://www.facebook.com/pages/create.php
Step 2: Select a category and enter the name for your page (you can set your fan page to be private until you’re ready to go live).
Step 3: Add a picture and become a fan.
Step 4: Edit your page settings. This is where you customize your page, including country and age restrictions, wall settings, tabs, fan permissions, and applications.
Step 5: Publish and promote your page. You can promote with a fan box, a Facebook ad, by suggesting to friends, on your personal profile and in your other networks.
Bonus: Once you hit 25 fans, go to http://www.facebook.com/username/ to create a vanity URL for your page.
How have you used Facebook fan pages for promotion?