PHP & MySQL: Novice to Ninja
By Kevin Yank
The easy way to build your own database-driven website.
What will I learn?
- In-depth Tutorials: Easy-to-follow tutorials with downloadable code examples.
- Best-practice PHP Coding: Learn rock-solid PHP programming principles from the start.
- Hassle-free Setup Instructions: Get yourself up and running on OS X, Windows, and Linux with ease.
- Fun Example Project: Put your knowledge to work building a working CMS: your own online joke database.
- Object Oriented Programming (OOP): Keep your PHP manageable and flexible using OOP principles.
- Add a Shopping Cart: Develop a working ecommerce platform from scratch.
Who should read this book?
By the end of this book, you’ll have a grasp of what’s involved in building a database driven website. If you follow the examples, you’ll also learn the basics of PHP (a server-side scripting language that gives you easy access to a database, and a lot more) and Structured Query Language (SQL—the standard language for interacting with relational databases) as supported by MySQL, the most popular free database engine available today. Most importantly, you’ll come away with everything you need to start on your very own database driven site!
What’s new in the fifth edition?
- Up-to-date: updated for Windows 7, Mac OS X Lion, and the latest versions of PHP, MySQL, and phpMyAdmin.
- Now even easier to get started: using all-in-one installation packages like XAMPP and MAMP.
- No command prompt required: phpMyAdmin is used for all database administration tasks, and for sending SQL commands to MySQL.
- Best practice database code: this edition uses the robust and portable PHP Data Objects (PDO) API and prepared statements to work with MySQL.
- HTML5 markup: easy-to-read HTML5 markup that all the cool kids are using these days.
Who is Kevin Yank?
Kevin Yank is a world-renowned leader in web development. Hired as SitePoint’s first staff writer in 2001, Kevin wrote the then new company’s first book, Build Your Own Database Driven Website Using PHP & MySQL, and has contributed countless articles, courses, newsletters, and podcasts on building websites. Kevin has a passion for making web technology easy to understand for anyone.
“Great book for beginners to start off with a *AMP stack. Like the right/wrong approach.”
“Extremely useful and walk you through easy steps”
“After years of trying to learn PHP & MySQL, I finally have a firm grasp on them. Love the book!”
If you feel that "PHP & MySQL: Novice to Ninja" falls short of being everything you wanted, we’d like you to have your money back.
Simply contact us within 30 days of purchasing your book from SitePoint, and we'll promptly send a refund. We know you'll be thrilled with the quality of our books!