Take a moment to list all of your projects from this year. Then list the source of each of the projects. What does that tell you about:
- Marketing that is working for you?
- Marketing that isn’t working for you?
- Business development activities you should expand?
- Business development activities you should de-emphasize?
- Business development activities you should continue, but in a more effective way?
I did this exercise while walking the dogs today and realized the following:
1/3 of my business this year has come from one excellent referral source. I need to cultivate more relationships like this one.
1/3 of my business has come from my web site — pure passive income based on an automated marketing system. I should expand my investment in this type of marketing.
1/3 of my business has come from former clients who have called me for more work — including many from a consulting practice I no longer market. Good for me! Perhaps I need to re-open that practice.
What do you learn when you do the same exercise?