We all get bored sometimes and need to relight the fire that makes us work hard, pushes us to reach our goals and helps us enjoy what we’re doing. So, in honor of July being Anti-Boredom Month (no, I am not making this up), I took a look at boredom, what causes it and how you can avoid getting bored in your daily life.
What is Boredom?
According to Wikipedia, boredom is an emotional state experienced during periods lacking activity or when individuals are uninterested in the activities presented to them. If you have ever been bored in your life, you know that being bored doesn’t always mean you have nothing to do; it means you have nothing that you WANT to do.
Common Causes of Boredom
Boredom can be caused by many different factors. Some common causes of boredom include:
- Lack of engagement
- Lack of understanding what you’re doing/learning
- Knowing too much about what you’re doing/learning
- Lack of variety and stimulation
- Inability to fulfill your drive for curiosity
- Feeling overwhelmed and over stimulated
- Consistent routine tasks
- Lack of opportunities to be creative
How to Avoid Boredom
The main way to avoid boredom is to make sure you are giving your full attention to what you are doing. By being completely tuned in and engaged, you can avoid falling into the boredom trap. Of course, that’s not always possible, so we tend to develop little tricks to push away the boredom and help us stay productive.
When you hit a bout of boredom, here are some quick and easy ways to give yourself a kick-start:
- Take your work outside
- Offer a new service to clients
- Call one client a day to check-in
- Take a class to learn a new skill
- Go to a conference or networking event
- Start reading industry publications
- Reach out to a colleague
- Take time to check your work
- Revisit your goals and create new ones
- Consider multitasking
- Take the day off and get away from work
- Change up your normal work schedule
- Only do what you love
- Take on a project that stretches you into a new area
- Contribute on a forum or discussion board
- Listen to your favorite music
What do you do when you get bored with your work?
Image credit: Gözde Otman