SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I plan on making a network of sites all using 'www.mysite.com/xxx'. The 'xxx' will represent one of many developers each uploading their own site. However in frontpage, if everyone has a different version of the entire mysite.com, everything will get screwed up. I remember someone suggesting a way around of this, but I couldn't find it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is probably a couple of ways around this.
    1) Make the xxx a sub-web. That way changes in one sub-web will not effect other sub-webs or the parent web.
    2) Work from the server and publish back to your own computer. That way everyone is working from the same Web site.
    Westmich
    Smart Web Solutions for Smart Clients
    http://www.mindscapecreative.com

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How do I make it a sub web? Just put it in another folder. Either way the problem would still be there since the main page for each site has to be in the master directory. How would I work from the server and publish to the computer?

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by cisites
    How do I make it a sub web? Just put it in another folder. Either way the problem would still be there since the main page for each site has to be in the master directory. How would I work from the server and publish to the computer?
    In Frontpage, choose New -> Web. In the dialog box that opens check "Make this a subweb of the current web".

Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Either way the problem would still be there since the main page for each site has to be in the master directory.
    You can link the main pages like any other page in the main directory. The benefit of seperate sub-webs is that FP extensions like shared borders, navigation menus, internal administration, or search engines will only effect the web that you are in.

I have hosted site as a directory under my domain. By placing them in seperate sub-webs, changes that I made in one did not effect the others.

How would I work from the server and publish to the computer?
    Open your site (file | open) from the server, i.e. "http://www.mysite.com". After you complete and save your work use the file | publish feature and direct it to a directory on your hard drive. Basically the opposite of what you normally would do. Otherwise, a team of say five people each have a copy of the Web site on their own computer; each member working his or her own area. At some point, however, a team member will make a change to an area that another team member has made a change to. With each team member publishing to the same domain, you end up with a different Web site depending on the last team member's publish. However, if you work from the server, everyone is on the same page.
    Westmich
    Smart Web Solutions for Smart Clients
    http://www.mindscapecreative.com