SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wink Dynamic website?

Hello,
    Was wondering for the people who dont use a template system like FastTemplate. Say I want to create a website where you could choose "themes" that have defined colors/images when selected. What would be the best route? Stylesheet? XML? How would you go about doing this?

Also how do you do your website? Do you use includes to build your pages? Does anyone use XML for a layout? If so any good tutorials on how this is accomplished?

Thanks
    Silly

Currently Occupied; Till Sunda Andrew-J2000's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sillysoft
    Hello,
    Was wondering for the people who dont use a template system like FastTemplate. Say I want to create a website where you could choose "themes" that have defined colors/images when selected. What would be the best route? Stylesheet? XML? How would you go about doing this?

Also how do you do your website? Do you use includes to build your pages? Does anyone use XML for a layout? If so any good tutorials on how this is accomplished?

Thanks
    Silly
    I'm currently using xslt to generate my website. Although i'm still developing it, there will be a lot of difficulties in making sure each page is xhtml strict. Due to this, I just let the page being rendered simply fail for now, however I will try to make it easier to input valid xhtml.

Anyway, for another method...

http://www.phppatterns.com/index.php...leview/19/1/1/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew-J2000
    I'm currently using xslt to generate my website. Although i'm still developing it, there will be a lot of difficulties in making sure each page is xhtml strict. Due to this, I just let the page being rendered simply fail for now, however I will try to make it easier to input valid xhtml.

Anyway, for another method...

http://www.phppatterns.com/index.ph...cleview/19/1/1/

Thanks for the reply! Looking at the article now. Any others have input on this subject?

Silly

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would use CSS and Javascript through the DOM for offering user's the choice to change themes on the fly - so no need to reload the page as you would do if done server side.

I used to create TABLE Headers, Navigation and Footers using INCLUDEs though I've now migrated to using XML/XSL and I have yet to look back.

It's the only way to go basically. Plus there are a tonne of other advantages of using XML/XSL other than for creating dynamic pages.

Though what I have is the template is XML and the page content as required is then appended onto the template as XML tags, so the whole lot is transformed only the once.

Very easy, very quick and very convienent I might add 8)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am using cookies, javascript and CSS to enable themes. I use includes to display my header. In the header - the cookie determines which css file the javascript calls.

Currently Occupied; Till Sunda Andrew-J2000's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Livingston
    I would use CSS and Javascript through the DOM for offering user's the choice to change themes on the fly - so no need to reload the page as you would do if done server side.

I used to create TABLE Headers, Navigation and Footers using INCLUDEs though I've now migrated to using XML/XSL and I have yet to look back.

It's the only way to go basically. Plus there are a tonne of other advantages of using XML/XSL other than for creating dynamic pages.

Though what I have is the template is XML and the page content as required is then appended onto the template as XML tags, so the whole lot is transformed only the once.

Very easy, very quick and very convienent I might add 8)
    Can I see a demo, have you done a serverside implementation yet? or are you just using it on the clientside, I think xml/xslt on the client side is highly flexible although better support is needed...