SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Please Review the site http://www.bigperl.com

It is almost finished but I am not sure if I am on the right path. Also let me know the loading speed.

http://www.bigperl.com

Regards
    Looking for webhosting?
    Complete review of hosting services, including dedicated and Cobalt Raqs.
    http://www.webhostingvillage.com

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks fine... it is the basic script archive formula... seen it many times and it looks like most others. If thats what you are going for, you got it

Loading speed was pretty fast on my slow connection.

The color of the background of your camel picture does not match the surrounding background color of the table.

The "L" in Big Perl (in the same camel pic) is cut off (which looks really bad IMHO).

I absolutely detest and hate that style of bulletin board. It just seems soo dated, cumbersome, and bland. A board more like vBulletin, UBB, UB, BoardPower, etc. would be MUCH better.

I think it would look better if the outer edges of the "Hot Sites" and "Big Perl Index" tables were lines up exactly with the outer edges of the nav tables.

The beige color is a little boring... although I guess it matches the camel theme

Overall, nice solid design I think. Was curious... what script are you using to index your categories??

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like it ...a few pointers:
    [list][*]Fix the l on the logo...hard to spot but looks bad[*]Maybe add something to the top area where the Search box is..right now it looks a bit bare [*]On the far left and right, where it says "Hot Sites" and "Big Perl Index", consider making those words the same font as the rest of the site.

Other than that, its a good site...

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From a novice that will probably use the site. I like it. Looks clean and easy to use. Load fast on my slow--browser, and I had a easy time navagating. All links worked and I enjoyed the information that I found. I will return. sdeaglewoman
    sdeaglewoman

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The overall design is good. For some reason, only half of the logo showed up? The background on the logo doesn't exactly fit the background on the table that it is nested in.

The one thing that annoyed me were the ads. You have too many of them (especially on the side bar's). I think on ad is fine on the sidebar.

It seems like you are slowly building a nice database of perl scripts. Good job on that.

You may want to improve your search script a little more. I tried searching for 'form+email', and received no results.

The site has a lot of potential if you continue to build up a large directory of scripts. The best of luck to you.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I first reviewed you site when I added it to may directory. I liked it then and I use it now. However, what I would change.

Your logo "Big Perl" only loads half way.

Too many Advert Pro ads.

Your message board is "Old School". Do a search you can find many free boards that offer WAY more ooptions.

I noticed you use Links 2.0. You should customize your forms. Add, Modify, New, Advanced Search etc. You do not want it to look like every other Links site.

I like the sites content and will use it.
    "Over 2200 Free Webmaster Resources and Tools"
    Search through our continually updated directory of free webmaster resources.
    WebmasterLane.com

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for the input. The site is very new and I have to change many things. What should I put in place of those side ads? I dont want to leave it empty nor do I want to fill it up with junk.
    Looking for webhosting?

********* Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks simple but has potential. It reminds me a bit of cgi-resources.com with the sidebars, cubes, etc.

Your top bar looks kinda empty (only a logo and a search box). I suggest you do something about it...

There isn't anything else that I can comment on... You should probably add some CSS to the links to make them look more attractive...

Boris
    * HostSector.com - Get Your Business Online
    Plans starting at $4.95/month (up to 500MB of space, 15,000MB of bandwidth, and more).

http://hostsector.com

SitePoint Enthusiast Adam Black's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,
    I like your layout it's simple and nice. I know the camel is the perl mascot but I'd put somthing else. Maybee a few lines of code faded into the background and keep big perl there. You might also want to make the hieght of that bar smaller so that where you have "find this" it won't look so empty.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have made some changes to main page, let me know if it looks any better (Assuming you still remember the old page)
    By the way does the logo appear fine or half is missing.

Thanks
    Looking for webhosting?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hi VW

This a primarily a content review. So here goes.

Run a spell checker past this content. hostes may be spelled wrong and there may be others. In fact it may be a real word and a second set of eyes is a good thing.

Under the "Remotely Hosted CGI Scripts" could tools become "interactive customer features". Maybe i should stop reading marketing lit!!

The content on the first page is finished.

The logo is fine. As good as I have seen.

thanks

ed

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by VW
    What should I put in place of those side ads? I dont want to leave it empty nor do I want to fill it up with junk.
    A general navigation bar. Something which allows your visitors to easily jump between your sections. Perhaps even a navigation bar containing all script categories.

The logo still appears half. On this page:
    http://www.bigperl.com/CGI_Scripts/Access_Counters/

Personally I never use align=something in an image, i've found that it can really mess up a design. And it can easily be accomplished with the <td align=left>. Put a width=,height= on the image. You can probably remove the width=200 on the td. I usually put a width=100% on the other one that I want to take up all the space.

And under the "find this" I'd add a link to a page which explains how the search engine works. I noticed you have a top rated. You might also want to add a script which counts the amount of clicks to the various script websites and have a top visited.

I also noticed a diffrence in the side layout between pages. The bar below the advertisement that says: [ Add a site, Modify a site... ]

Take a look at the following two pages yourself:
    http://www.bigperl.com/CGI_Scripts/
    http://www.bigperl.com/New/

/Anders

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi VW -- Many comments already posted. I have only one item to add: none of the other pages I looked at (Advanced Search, What's New, Add URL, etc.) had a link to return to Home, and you should consider doing this. I think viewers always appreciate this and it's so easy to do. When you finalize this, you will want to fix the typos and spelling errors. My knowledge of CGI is near zero so I found the site interesting and will return to it again. I have a 56K modem and the site loaded fast. Good luck.
    Gene-B

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thank you all. I am fixing the problems as I find them. I fixed couple of pages today.
    Looking for webhosting?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might also want to consider chaning the link color from blue to another color. It kind of clashes with the beige color and is a little hard on the eyes.
    Logan Thompson
    Aisle 55 Novelty Gifts
    www.Aisle55.com

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think a general navigation is in order. I see you have some text links but they are kinda hidden.

A nice graphical nav-bar would look great across the top or down the left side. A link to every other page could be listed on every page for easy navigation.

Other than that, I like it. It is well categorized and organized. It's a bookmark site for sure.