SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting point as usual Chris. Anyways, the schedule is pretty similiar to mine, I do however fit a social life in. No, not an AOL social life where i IM my friends from 'who knows where' only but real people. Can't stay shacked up near the computer all day.
    Paul Goodman
    www.thestands.com- Talk Sports and surf our network of sites.
    paul@thestands.com

Skills to Pay the Bills Sparkie's Avatar
    A cave with 47 computers and an internet feed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wayne's post about being a robot actually makes me want to state that the schedule I posted before ISN'T REAL
    Sherice Jacob - Web Improvement Expert
    Improve Website Conversions | eBook Covers
    Follow Me on Twitter!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay. Believe what you may - a diploma and GPA is still a fairly good (but not complete) measure of someones employability (if there is such a word.)

Anywhoo, what I meant by becoming well rounded is engaging in discussion with others who have different view point. Sure you can read books about different view point, but do you get to discuss Plato and Hume (Does God exist?) with 20 intelligent people of differering opinions and a professor who has written 2 books on the subject? Or do you do year long research projects which are critiqued and perfected by dozens of people? Do you learn stuff like "Neural Networks" or "Human and Computer Interaction" or "Advanced algorythm design" (both which could be applicable to website design.) All this is a requirment to graduate as a computer science major: it's not just about being employable - it's about making you an interesting, intelligent, and sophisticated person.

This kind of thing is hard to do alone (though, NOT as I should not have said earlier, impossible.)

Anyway, college is fun.

Sparkie > You were starting to scare me there.

Owen

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Obviously there is more to it than just raw education...and no, I don't study computer science. I'll bet I do a lot more in other subjects though.

We all choose what we want to focus on, and it makes us interesting in different ways to different people in different situations. I will not go out of my way to try to become interesting to people...I will live my life and try to become successful and live a good life. I feel as a result I will become interesting, but that CANNOT be given priority...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok so lets break down my schedule for next year:

3:00 PM - I arrive home.
    3:30 PM - Leave for the Gym.
    4:30+ PM - Arive home, shower, and then study.
    9:00 PM - Finish studying.

People could argue that thats a pretty easy schedule, not for me buddy! I like going to the gym, but it looks like I'll only be able to go twice a week

Oh well I'll benefit from it in the future.

russell.cz.cc - coming soon (I promise!)

Skills to Pay the Bills Sparkie's Avatar
    A cave with 47 computers and an internet feed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My actual schedule is really more complicated than that. I'm a full time student in college, as well as working as a webmaster there. I also devote a great deal of time to my online business Pawsitronic. What time I have left is usually spent cramming for some huge exam.

Those of you who have the leisure to browse SitePoint every hour should enjoy it while you can! The older you get, the harder it is to find enough hours in the day to do what you want

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well then forget it! I'm never growing up. Either that, or I'll have to make a lot of money very soon so I can spend all day on the forums like I do now...

Don't get too close, I bite! Nicky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hear hear Sparkie, sometimes there are not enough hours in the day.

I wish I did not have to sleep.

[Edited by Nicky on 10-11-2000 at 02:20 PM]

Just Blow It bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by W. Luke
    Add to that the fact that some people think I am a bot programmed by Kevin Yank and you know how bad it really is.
    I think the juries still out on this one. I think we need definitive proof that you're not. How else would you have that wealth of knowledge so easily accessible??
    Dave Maxwell - Manage Your Site Team Leader
    My favorite YouTube Video! | Star Wars, Dr Suess Style
    Learn how to be ready for The Forums' Move to Discourse

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, the alarm clock part is the only one I will tell you about:

4:30 am - goes off
    7:30 am - mother comes in to shut it off for me, I am showing no signs of life....

and this is REAL! (not every day but quite often)

The rest of my schedule is not that interesting, due to a fact that I don't really have one

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why does your alarm clock go off so early? That is close to the time I got to bed!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Nicky
    Why does your alarm clock go off so early? That is close to the time I got to bed!
    LOL Nicky... I remember going to bed as late as 3 AM this past summer... now I have to get up at 5:40 for school. Ah, those days of summer, that I so miss...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I was in school in Gibraltar it used to start at 8.55. I used to leave my house about 8.50 - I was ALWAYS late!

Luckily my form teacher (the person that takes the register) was my best friend's dad so I used to get away with it. Plus I lived quite close (Gibraltar is very small) and I used to have a motorbike which I used to zip to school.

God forbid I should get up when it is still dark!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    7:00AM - Wakes up.
    7:15AM - Gets on bus, heads to school.
    7:45AM - Gets at school, sits in commons and talks.(real people)
    8:02AM - Bell Rings schools starts
    8:05AM - 2:30PM Schools out. heh..
    3:15PM - Get off bus.
    3:30PM - Watch tv for a few and eat something.
    4:00PM - go to a friends house on my wheeler or hang around the house and play basketball.
    5:30PM - Eats dinner.
    7:00PM - 9:30 Talks on Phone usually, If not Its Q3, my site, or some forums i go to.
    10:00PM Goes to sleep.
    (Yes I need 9 hours, for a beauty sleep or such) : )
    Ken Prescott - 21Studios freelancing design
    Graphic-Forums - The Forums for the Graphic User

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    God forbid I should get up when it is still dark!
    I hear ya! It's absolutely horrid getting up when it's pitch black dark. And I have trouble going to bed before 11 PM, so I'm always so tired in the morning.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by TWTCommish
    Well then forget it! I'm never growing up. Either that, or I'll have to make a lot of money very soon so I can spend all day on the forums like I do now...
    Stupid homeschooling...its not like you ahve to actually go to school or anything...lucky you. But I aggree, the lack of social interaction screws people up. There is this kid in my class that homeschooled for a while, and he is SUCH a dork. I mean like seriouosly, he has no social fear of anything and makes a fool of himself completely.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL!

I actually like going to school, it's good to hang out with kids your age.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Grandmaster
    4:00PM - go to a friends house on my wheeler or hang around the house and play basketball.
    7:00PM - 9:30 Talks on Phone usually, If not Its Q3, my site, or some forums i go to.
    And HOW come you guys dont have homework???

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by RussellG
    LOL!

I actually like going to school, it's good to hang out with kids your age.
    Yea, I know, I completely aggree. BTW, I love your quote.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by jumpthru
    Stupid homeschooling...its not like you ahve to actually go to school or anything...lucky you. But I aggree, the lack of social interaction screws people up. There is this kid in my class that homeschooled for a while, and he is SUCH a dork. I mean like seriouosly, he has no social fear of anything and makes a fool of himself completely.
    Do I detect a hint of jealousy?

Yes, social akwardness can be a side effect...I can assure you it's not a problem with me, but it can be for some. Luckily enough my parents had the foresight (my father, mostly) to introduce me to a lot of people...mostly adults and such.

He made sure I knew how to shake hands well, talk with clarity a bit, things like that.

In fact, I used to be a bit shy, but one time while hanging out with some friends, it all changed. We were messing around, and while a few just sort of sat on some steps, some of the others were throwing footballs, and having others hit them with a baseball bat - weird, huh?

Anyway, I step up for a quick shot, and I'm not sure if it was my first hit or not, but I hit it pretty high...goes over their heads, and breaks a window. It's actually a stained glass window with a protective window OVER it...thankfully the protective window is the only one that breaks. We all run in my friend's house right across the street...the guy doesn't come out...

...then I decide I'm just going to go right up to his door and tell him what happened and offer him the $40 or so I had with me to pay for it. My friend Adam comes with me for support. Turns out the guy is a major grump and wants me to replace it on my own...he calls a police car over! The old guy even took down the cop's badge number...which really told me a lot about him.

The cop doesn't look upset - he winks at me at some point, which relieves me. They file the incident on record and my parents appreciate my going up to him and handle the window themselves. Anyway, I rememer mid-way through dealing with that guy, that I was just sick of being pushed around, and that half the battle was determined by raw confidence and demeanor.

Since then, I've done a totally reversal to the point were I'm a little too sure of myself and borderline arrogant - but it's better than being meek!

Anyway, that's my big story.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea, I know, I completely aggree. BTW, I love your quote. [/B]
    Do you mean my sig?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Grandmaster
    And HOW come you guys dont have homework???
    Well let's not start this into a flamewar about homeschooling, although I think we have them outnumbered.

Originally posted by TWTCommish
    I know a kid who lives in my town who was homeschooled for all his life, then he decided to try to come to "real" school for a year, but ended up not making it through the year. He was nice and all, but he was a "computer dork". And you could tell he had problems... like when you tried to talk to him, he wouldn't give you eye contact and he would laugh and cover his head.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "I mean like seriouosly, he has no social fear of anything and makes a fool of himself completely."

I think there are two different types of 'acting like a fool in public'.
    The first type is preformed by the socially retarded people, who do not know how to act in front of people, and do not realize that they are actually behaving like an idiot.

The second type is just doing it for fun. I personally have a great time acting like a fool in the halls of my school and in public. I have a great time having people think I am an idiot. Maybe too much Tom Green does that to a person though?

Having no 'social fear' can often mean having a lot of self-confidence.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by RussellG
    Yea, I know, I completely aggree. BTW, I love your quote.
    Do you mean my sig? [/B]
    Yea

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL nicky!
    I actually dont get to bed until after 1:30-2 am. But who says I need sleep!?