SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

importing photoshop fonts

Can anyone tell me how to import new fonts into photoshop? I'm trying to do it but can't see the option.

Many thanks
    Domainnamescenter - Low cost domain name registration services.
    netServicesHosting - Hosting services for webdevelopers. Check out our Affiliate Program
    Get help with all your programming problems at ProgrammerTutorials.com

gingham dress, army boots... silver trophy redux's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you need to get the fonts installed on your system (windows, mac, whatever). photoshop will then recognise them as being available to use.
    in windows, you need to copy the ttf (truetype font) file into your windows font directory (depending on what version of windows it is, it's c:\windows\fonts or c:\winnt\fonts). restart photoshop, and the fonts should be there...
    re·dux (adj.): brought back; returned. used postpositively
    [latin : re-, re- + dux, leader; see duke.]
    WaSP Accessibility Task Force Member
    splintered.co.uk | photographia.co.uk | redux.deviantart.com

SitePoint Addict Eternal Designs's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you have Win 9.x and want to install Postscript fonts you'll need ATM (Adobe Type Manager). If you have Win 2000 or XP you don't.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also be careful about the number and quality of fonts you install. Too many can cause problems, and corrupt fonts will really drive you nuts. ATM is a great resource, but I heard that Adobe is dropping it. Don't know for sure on that one.

SitePoint Addict Eternal Designs's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fdeaton
    Also be careful about the number and quality of fonts you install. Too many can cause problems, and corrupt fonts will really drive you nuts. ATM is a great resource, but I heard that Adobe is dropping it. Don't know for sure on that one.
    If you use win 2k or XP you don't have to worry about a maximum # of fonts installed. The only exception is if yo have a lot of fonts installed in those OS's it will take forever to open apps. In win 9x it depends on how long the font name and font file name are as to how many you can install. It's somewhere around 1000. And you're correct about Adobe abandonng ATM. That is why I use Font Reserve by Diamond Soft. The only caveat about the "other" font managers is that you still need ATM light if you're on Win 9.x and want to manage Postscript fonts.

SitePoint Evangelist MobileBadBoy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have 360 installed (on XP), and PS still opens and flys like a breeze. Had quite a few (a couple of hundred) back before XP came out, and never had a problem either (on 98). Never needed other software.
    Shawn Kerr .com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perhaps it was just a coinsidence but the following happend on my two computers who were at that time running on Windows 98.

If you would have copied the the font to the Fonts directory without actually looking at the Fonts directory itself in Windows Explorer it wouldn't load for me in Photoshop. As if Windows 98 didn't see the font as installed. I fixed this by browsing to the fonts directory and just hit Refresh if it didn't do that automatically already.
    Jeroen Mulder

w: www.jeroenmulder.com