SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

I've downloaded Apache/Jakarta-Tomcat Servlet server for both Windows and Linux. When I installed Tomcat on my Linux box, by merely putting it in a convienient directory, it ran the first time. Then since that went so smoothly, I tried installing it on my laptop. The laptop is running Windows98 2nd Edition. The installation was pretty much the same. However, when I tried starting Tomcat in a MSDOS window, I kept getting the error message "Out of environment space" and it would not start.

I' aware of the /e: xxxxx flag on the SHELL variable used in the config.sys file, which can be used to set the space reserved for the environment under DOS, but my config.sys file does not have a shell statement in it. When I tried to add one, the system hung at a C: prompt.

Any suggestions on how to get Tomcat Servlet server running on my laptop under Windows98?

THANKS
    -joe-

noble@flashman.com
    http://www.flashman.com
    --
    -je-

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

Since my post yesterday, the harddisk controller on my Linux box has failed. Thus until I get my Linux machine back up the only means I'll have to develop Servlets is on my laptop under Windows. This is where I'm having the problem mentioned in my previous message.

PLEASE HELP!!!

TIA
    joe
    --
    -je-

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You need to point your shell command to the command.com executable in the Windows98 directory. This will slow down your PC though.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    W. Luke,

Thanks for the reply. I found another way, through Windows to do what I needed.

It just dawned on me to try looking at the Properties of the MS-DOS program. I right-clicked on the MS-DOS icon in the Programs menu, and chose Properties. Sure enough the first section of the window under the Memory tab was concerned with the environment space. I set this to 4096, and tomcat starts fine.

I had just posted a similar message on the Compaq support forum when the idea hit me. Now I can start Apache and Tomcat on my laptop, and develop HTML, cgi-bin, Java Servlets, and Java Applets. I can do it without my Linux box anywhere.

Thanks for the help.

THANKS
    -joe-
    --
    -je-