User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Social Movie Review Website Content & Design Critique

Hello,

I made www.buzzscale.com. It is basically a one stop shop to see how the latest movies are doing by automatically analyzing what people are saying.

The main page lists the newest movies in theatres and latest dvd releases. You can sort by popularity(number of tweets & facebook posts), buzz score ( a computer generated score generated by performing sentiment analysis), or other scores such as the rotten tomatoes critic score or IMDb rating if you dont care about twitter chatter.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks!

SitePoint Enthusiast claire0917's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great layout, great UI design. Took me a while though to figure out why some movies are blue while some are gray. I think star icons would work better, like show 5 stars for a score of 91-100, 4.5 stars for 81-90, and etc.
    Next thing i noticed is you don't have a favicon yet. I think you also need to improve on the header and menu design. Thy're boring.. could use some texture or something..

SitePoint Enthusiast WebOutGateway's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think buzz score should be arranged in chronological order like 87-86-85 etc. and what is the difference between buzz score and mentions?
    Witness how bright ideas transform into your website needs.
    Visit and connect us now for your
    Mobile Application Development requirements.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, its a great idea. Difference of blue and gray also what is buzz score or Mentions? Can't apprehend it.

SitePoint Evangelist StudioWorks's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello,

I think the site looks pretty good however there are a few things I would do differently:

- i your improve the fonts, i don't like what you're using right now.
    - i would also improve the images, precisely the borders, make them more subtle.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, nice looking site, just you should fix those spacing gaps, make them even.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the idea is genius!

as far as the design: i think that the unevenly-distributed space between your content sections is a bit aggravting. i would even out the amount of space between each container, to, say, 24px.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice safe colors used for your layout, you might want to improve the alignment of the different blocks to make it look more clean. I would suggest you add a favicon, also I think the sorting button is a little too big. Something I would suggest you implement is some sort of user system, so your visitors can have some type of interaction. Other than that everything works fine & I do like the popup trailer video. Wish you the best of luck!

SitePoint Addict bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Elephantcat,

You have a good start here. My suggestions are similar to others but I have a different approach for you. Eliminate the first three horizontal boxes and replace them with one. There is really no need to have three of them.

Make your logo larger and put the tag line “move reviews from social media” underneath the logo.

Make a banner that goes under the logo and tag line and have a slideshow feature popular movies. Have a marketing message on each image of the slide show explaining what the service is.

Put your main navigation under the banner and change the color of the menu items so that they stand out against the background of the body. You may even want to separate out a spot in the left or right column below the main navigation to explain what the site does.

Check out these common web design conventions,

http://netaccountant.net/website-des...n-conventions/

hope that helps,
    Shawn

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    arrange it , high to low scores and latest to old post

SitePoint Enthusiast jacksarloks's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

I do search for these sites, it's good but you can add more features and that should increase repeated visitors. This type of sites you can get "lifetime vistors" if you design it well.

Search box you can make an advanced search available. Search by date released, etc You can allow comments on each video page, I mean real comments not extracted from Twitter.

Also I'd suggest checking out other similar sites/blogs for cool features such as:
    Top time travel movies of all time

On another website I for instance saw a movie trailer (embedded youtube video) on each movie page.

Make sections for these... give site more purpose will help you get more repeated visitors meaning those that will bookmark site and make it their one stop place for movies stuff.

Think, brainstorm to get new ideas, make a list of all your prospects wants/needs to come up with features for site, etc.

Blog will also help.

Jack
    No B.S. SEO Crash Course >> http://www.nobsseocrashcourse.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My suggestion:

- lose the gradients
    - enlarge search box in top right header (make it wider)
    - move the "what is buzzscale" as a box in the right column, where its placed now is taking up more real estate than needed.
    Talk Jesus Forums [ Father's Love Letter ]
    LogicWeb...a smart web solution [ managed hosting since 2004 ]

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the site is doing well in concept and content, but the design could be a little more "now" so to speak. Those black borders for example, put me in mind of older sites built from tables. Softer colors like a lighter gray, or possibly a shade of blue that fits the color palette being used would make things blend in a little more subtle.

White space is a pretty common thing these days, and looks good, but then again so are cell phones. White space isn't always so good in that aspect. So, maybe taking your navigation, and instead of having it in it's on div, put it into the header in it's own div class and position it down toward the bottom center of the header along with the share tools. That would free up a huge chunk of space, and people on smaller devices would appreciate it I'm sure.

The suggestion to put your "key" to the movie ratings in chronological order makes pretty good sense to me too.

You have a lot of inline styling going on that could possibly be cleaned up by using css instead, which would likely help you with achieving more consistent spacing and not so much guess work.

In the dev tools on your browser, if you check your console, you have several errors going on there that you might want to check out. One of the involving fancybox.

You do not have a footer, and that seems strange to me as I rarely ever see that. There is a lot of content that could be placed there, but more importantly a sitemap, policies, contact, ect...

I personally don't find that gradient background you are using appealing, and would rather see it just be a blue color by way of CSS.

Someone mentioned the favicon already, so that's a definite point, and lack in the the branding department.

Good job on things so far, and good luck!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The concept and the idea is very promising but the execution I think can do with a little bit more work.

First of all while I like blue backgrounds, for some reason I do not think it is working very well here. The raw table format is also too simple and can definetly look better with a bit more effort, the search feature I think should be a little bit more prominent, you can have a more colorful and characteristic header and logo as the current one with added text is not doing too much justice to your site. Social sharing icons could be a little bit more prominent as well. One final comment could be having more content on the main page as the empty space is simply a bit too much.

Best of luck with your site !

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The current blue background is very simple... try to use some pattern background image.. Sort popularity "drop down" have large text you can use consistent fonts in all over the page... I normally prefer verdana, arial fonts with 12px size..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what was i thinkin when trying to create a movie review site? lol..that is my next project actually. I agree with some of the comments here about the font. Change the font size and the font itself. Put bigger font. The widget looks boring too. I think i need to change my mind about this movie review thing *sigh..

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good site content, but design need to be enhanced. Being a video site requires that the design should looks more beautiful like abc premier site. You need to add more graphics.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You need some sort of design to the site, it`s too basic and you need to change the blue background, maybe to a light grey. Also the logo needs some improvement.