SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Resident OCD goofball! bronze trophy Serenarules's Avatar
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Running MySQL without TCP port???

Is this possible, I have a need to shutdown mysql's port and use another method if possible. My client doesn't want anything listening on a tcp port since they have limited firewall and router port blocking support.

In other words. Does it HAVE to have a port assignment, or can it connect through say, named pipes, or some other protocol?

Thanks!

Making a better wheel silver trophy DR_LaRRY_PEpPeR's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if the connections are only local, you don't need to use TCP/IP connections. in fact, you shouldn't if you want the fastest connection.

on *nix, if you're connecting with the special hostname "localhost," it uses a Unix socket connection, no TCP/IP and therefore no port.

on Windows NT/2000/XP, start mysqld with --enable-named-pipe in your my.ini and then leave the host parameter blank (in PHP's mysql_connect() or whatever) and it will connect with named-pipes.

to disable mysqld listening on any TCP port, start it with skip-networking in your my.cnf/my.ini. this is actually recommended in the MySQL manual if you only have local connections.

hope that helps.
    - Matt ** Ignore old signature for now... **
    Dr.BB - Highly optimized to be 2-3x faster than the "Big 3."
    "Do not enclose numeric values in quotes -- that is very non-standard and will only work on MySQL." - MattR

Resident OCD goofball! bronze trophy Serenarules's Avatar
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, thanks! Initially that helps very much. I went to mysql.com and researched that option. I think I can come up with a solution for my client. Thanks again.