SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Complaints from users that they can't access our site!

We have received a large number of complaints that our Dating-Central affiliate site doesn't work for some people. Despite having tested the site on different computers, it does work for us. I was wondering if other webmasters could help us out by testing if the page works on their computers.

From our enquiries, people reporting that the site doesn't work are on a range of PCs and most use Internet Explorer.

Here is the page:
    http://www.UKHotMovies.com/dating

Any idea why some people are complaining? What can we do to make sure the page is accessible to more people?

This is driving me crazy. Thank you guys
    Azam Marketing, Inc.
    Award-Winning Digital Marketing and Design Results Since 1997
    Click here to read acclaimed online marketing & design blog

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You just want to know if the page loads, correct? It loaded when I clicked your link. Tia was on the first page. I used OSX Jaguar with the Safari browser if that helps.
    ~Dorian

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Works using Win/IE6.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yup, works fine in WinXp/IE6, equally fine for me in Opera 7, Netscape 7.0 and Mozilla 1.1a (although the little sliding .gif header doesn't show up in the any other than the IE, I assume you know that though.)

It's VERY slow and chunky on IE 5.0 with the sliding .gif really bogging it down, and it completely craps out Netscape 4.7 for me (then again... it IS Netscape 4) nothing shows up except for a bit of text and the gradient at the top.

Ohio - U.S.A. Outlook: Cautiously Optimistic
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried it in

IE6 -
    Opera 6 - (but gave me a different version)
    Netscape 7 -
    Netscape 4.7 - Loaded ok the first visit except for the drop down lists on the right were missing. Then after I clicked on a few things, the only thing that happened was that word came out from the right, hit the left side of the screen, then nothing else. That's all that was on the page.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Strange, I wonder why my Netscape 4.7 won't load it at all. Inconsistency, thy name is Netscape

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is this a forum with humans or angels?

Thanks so much.

Not really bothered about Netscape 4.7 - its market share must be less than 1% no?

I spend over 70 hours a week working on fiddly problems with my sites and haven't got the resources to focus on browsers with next to no market share.
    Azam Marketing, Inc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My ex-girlfriend thought I was an angel :-D
    ~Dorian

Ohio - U.S.A. Outlook: Cautiously Optimistic
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was going to add my sentiments on 4.7 in my post up there but I was in a hurry. I tested it in that browser just because I wanted to narrow it down for you as to what visitors might be having trouble.

You're right not to concern yourself over Netscape 4.7 anymore for your particular site. Other sites need to check their statistics before they give up making their site usable for people who have that browser.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy TheOriginalH's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In Opera the page loads fine...but non of the links work, and that I'd consider "not getting in". To make it more accessible is quite simple. Remove the frameset and get rid of the JavaScript only navigation. Even though JS was switched on in Opera and in Phoenix, I could not register etc (basically do anything using JS navigation).

Mozilla (2002082306) choked without loading the site at all.

I suspect users of older versions of IE are going to have issues as well, as of course is anyone not using JavaScript (up to 24% of the surfing public depending on whose stats you follow).

Sorreee.
    ~The Artist Latterly Known as Crazy Hamster~
    922ee590a26bd62eb9b33cf2877a00df
    Currently delving into Django, GIT & CentOS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I agree with H! you really need to offer an alternate navigation scheme. I had never thought about this much before I gave my site address to a friend with a family computer and apparently they have JS turned off so my DHTML links don't work. I have other links for navigation, but I haven't really tested them to insure that they work properly and lead to the same destinations. In fact, thinking of this problem, I concentrated on the DHTML links for primary nav and the sidebar probably doesn't work nearly as well. "sigh" Something else to try to work on this weekend!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for the advice.

I don't believe anything like 24% of people have javascript disabled.

As for Opera, I don't know why everybody in these forums is so concerned about it: it must be truly awesome Phoenix - is that another browser that nobody uses?

We geeks need to leave our computers, go out into the streets, chat to real people (not us weirdos), and realise that nobody uses browsers like Opera.

I hardly ever talk about my work, but over the last two years every time I've mentioned a 'banner' to my (intelligent, educated) friends, they've asked me what one is. People don't even know how to change their start page in IE nevermind install Opera.

If one always caters for the lowest common denominator then you can't do anything impressive. Most of the movie studios now only have flash versions of their sites to promote latest releases.

They don't care about people with 486 computers in Namibia and neither do I. If somebody has got javascript disabled, it is also more likely that they will not be confident with making an online purchase - therefore they are no use to me as a businessman.

If we always thought about the weakest link, soap opera producers would still make programmes with lighting that suits black-and-white televisions because I believe that something like 0.5% of people (here in the UK) still have b&w televisions.

That said, I was going to change the navigation bar for http://www.UKHotMovies.com as there are new sections to the site which I can't integrate into the current site. I would like somebody to create a breathtaking one for me (probably in DHTML). As you can see, the rest of the site is very plain-looking and so I need to the navigation bar to be really special. Do you know how much money it would cost? (PM me if you can do one for me)

Thank you once again.
    Last edited by Azam.net; Mar 18, 2003 at 16:54.
    Azam Marketing, Inc.

gingham dress, army boots... silver trophy redux's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If we always thought about the weakest link, soap opera producers would still make programmes with lighting that suits black-and-white televisions because I believe that something like 0.5% of people (here in the UK) still have b&w televisions.
    go to your television set, tune it to the soap of your choice, and then rack the colour right down. can you still see the picture ? can you still follow the action ?
    turn off nicam stereo super surround thx on your home theatre system as well, and run it all through mono. can you still hear the dialogue ? hear the music ?

tadaaaaa...an example of something (in this case, television broadcasts) that degrades gracefully, meaning that it will work even on lower spec machines.

now, apply this reasoning to your website. rinse. repeat.
    Last edited by redux; Mar 18, 2003 at 17:17.
    re·dux (adj.): brought back; returned. used postpositively
    [latin : re-, re- + dux, leader; see duke.]
    WaSP Accessibility Task Force Member
    splintered.co.uk | photographia.co.uk | redux.deviantart.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Lit_com
    If one always caters for the lowest common denominator then you can't do anything impressive.
    I love when people use this argument as reasoning to only support IE. ;-)

BTW, son of a former broadcaster here, you'll find that (unlike the HDTV switch) color TV signals are fully backwards-compatible with B&W.

~~Ian
    Last edited by Ian Glass; Mar 18, 2003 at 18:56.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy TheOriginalH's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have received a large number of complaints that our Dating-Central affiliate site doesn't work for some people
    Clearly you know what you're talking about, I defer to your better judgment, sorry I couldn't help ...
    Last edited by TheOriginalH; Mar 19, 2003 at 13:01.
    ~The Artist Latterly Known as Crazy Hamster~
    922ee590a26bd62eb9b33cf2877a00df
    Currently delving into Django, GIT & CentOS