SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Advanced programming books

Hey guys,

Check out my Amazon wishlist (well, I use it as a list of books I'm going to purchase). Which books should I add to that list? I'm specifically looking for more OOP related and web services (SOAP, XML-RPC, etc) related books

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/re...517453-3016845

Right now I'm only using PHP, but I've considered learning Java and C++ sometime too (don't know in which order yet). I need some more knowledge on how to construct solid object oriented applications

Did I miss any essential books?

Thanks
    Best regards,
    Håvard Lindset

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry about bumping this..

Btw, feel free to tell me if you think some of the books on my list are bad too
    Best regards,
    Håvard Lindset

SitePoint Wizard gold trophysilver trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's four to think about: http://www.phppatterns.com/index.php/link/category/33/ two of which can be downloaded for free online - Thinking in Java is an excellent OOP read and the other two are on your list. From what you've got there, it's all good stuff to the best of my knowledge. The PHP books are more practical as less theory but PHP XML is well worth it as a reference.

Currently Occupied; Till Sunda Andrew-J2000's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryF
    Here's four to think about : http://www.phppatterns.com/index.php/link/category/33/ two of which can be downloaded for free online - Thinking in Java is an excellent OOP read and the other two are on your list. From what you've got there, it's all good stuff to the best of my knowledge. The PHP books are more practical as less theory but PHP XML is well worth it as a reference.
    hmm, i'm getting interested by php5 atm; i'm not sure whether to bother to get a book about php/xml/xslt/webservices as php5 contains many new concepts, which will outdate most of these books.

ps (which one are you harry:P http://images.amazon.com/images/P/1...01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg)

I was extremely interested when I saw the title of your book harry, however after reading some reviews i'm not so sure. Whats your opinion as one of the authors?
    Comparing it to the reviews (not sure how much I can go by these reviews) it seems Professional PHP4 XML, would be a much better all round book, yet again I have to question it when php5 comes on the market, is it still worth getting?

I think that PHP4 is still lacking in XML integration, although I would be interested in seeing any advancements in this area in php5(has anyone seen any)?

anyway as you can see from my wishlist i'm rather interested in xml / xslt / webservices, let me know if you come up with any decent books, which you think I will be interested in

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/w...1817603-7267217

just found this book

Last edited by Andrew-J2000; Mar 11, 2003 at 14:07.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Andrew-J2000, funny but I see no books in your wish list but HP #5.

SitePoint Wizard gold trophysilver trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was extremely interested when I saw the title of your book harry, however after reading some reviews i'm not so sure. Whats your opinion as one of the authors?
    Real quick - not much time right now - have to be careful what I say. One thing to be aware of is two chapters missed their submission deadlines and failed to make the book so they're online ( the appendices are also missing as a result ), which may be part of the criticism about the book being small.

Some of the other comments on Amazon - well it's true PHP is still in it's infancy as far as web services is concerned, which is something the book has to deal with. Some of the comments make we wonder though - perhaps the reviewers would consider making their names known... "Would be coders from Pakistan?" - Daniel Solin writes for OReilly while Ken Egevari and James Fuller are two of the best PHP authors Wrox has (most of the OOP stuff youll find in their books comes from these two)

There is valuable information in it that you won't find online.

I'm not going to comment about the work of other authors. All I can say is I'm happy with what I wrote. Hopefully the explaination of WSDL will be particularily useful.

Perhaps wait until the next edition if you don't like reading adobe documents. See for some more info