SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

I believe you have my stapler. scrubz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Color specs: RGB vs. CMYK vs. Pantone - Help!

A client gives me a spec of the color they use in printed materials:

Pantone 287U
    R:12 G:45 B:131
    C:100 M:69 Y:0 K:11.5

However, these values aren't consistent depending on what color picker I'm using in Photoshop. Choose the Pantone, it throws off the RGB and CMYK values, and so on. I got the closest match (at least by eye) by eyedropping the color from their spec sheet pdf.

What color am I actually aiming for here? Is there something I'm missing between the different color definitions? Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What are you doing for the client?

If you are doing online material...use the RGB value.

If your doing a full-color printed material...use the CMYK value.

If your doing something in print where your using only a few or spot color...use the pantone value

I believe you have my stapler. scrubz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wink

Thanks for the info, Toni. It's online material, and I ended up going with the RGB value. I guess the different color specs aren't meant to match, meaning if I set the RGB values, the CMYK values won't match the CMYK values in the spec? I was just curious why this is. Thanks again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Of course they aren't meant to match. Your monitor can only display RGB after all; the rest are just the proper color "emulated" in RGB.
    TuitionFree a free library for the self-taught
    Anode Says... Blogging For Your Pleasure

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For on-line use you had no choice. Keep in mind that you have absolutely no control over the monitor settings of whoever is viewing your site. I put up thousands of photographs/year and I learned long ago that if it looks good on my monitor then that is all I can control or care about.

Print output is different--totally different and I adjust my output accordingly.

I should also state that I spend a lot of time keeping all of my monitors calibrated. I work across platform all day, every day. I personally have 2 Mac G4s, 2 Dell desktops, and 1 Dell laptop up and running all day long and often transfer files back and forth for different functions. All of my files transfer very well and I can perform any graphic function between any of these with no problem.
    Last edited by fdeaton; Mar 4, 2003 at 22:06.