SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Thread: The ?

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've heard conflicting info on whether search engines will index pages with a ? mark in them.

Right now I get most of my hits from dmoz.org (through aol, netscape, or google)

google search engine

or yahoo

Before I decide to DB my site I want to know if these pages will still be indexable. And if they have less of a chance at human edited directories too.

Chris

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A few search engines index them if they are linked from a static page. It's also possible to database your site without using the '?'. I do on my site. There are several discussions about it somewhere on this board.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's a way to rewrite this type of URL but I've never done that. It uses Apache's mod_rewite. I found this link that might be useful : http://www.alistapart.com/stories/urls/index.html

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am sure I have read an article somewhere that said the search engines will stop at the question mark and not include any more of the url. I am not sure where I read it though.

It might be worth while to check a few urls in the search engines you are trying to get into and see if anybody else does it. Time consuming however!
    "Over 2200 Free Webmaster Resources and Tools"
    Search through our continually updated directory of free webmaster resources.
    WebmasterLane.com