SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How to learn PHP

I'm a student of computer science and i want to done few projects during studies so that i can get job easily after study. I have learned html and css and i created a super nice website design and then i learn basics of javascript and now i learned basics of php from w3school and other few websites. I just know basics of php and mysql like arrays, loops, inserting and retrieving data from database. As i told that i created web design of directory website now i want to develop it, i don't know from where to start it and how cause i just know little about mysql so now where i should start.

I'll be very thankful to you guys if you can help me.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello,
    best way to learn php is w3school i think you take task and complite the task with help w3school it's best way.And the best book name is PHP Objects, Patterns and Practice …pro php Kevin McArthur (Author)

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would strongly disagree with @amitchoudhary about learning from w3schools, the reason you can check here http://w3fools.com/
    Best way to learn is by doing, for your web design directory I would start with minimal features and then add some advanced stuff later, as you gain more knowledge.
    For learning databases I suggest Introduction to Databases, not sure if it's still open to signup, though.
    As for books, I guess, if you already have basic knowledge, then best choice would be something on best practices and approaches on building php apps, the books mentioned by @amitchoudhary should be a good start.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i'm sorry guys i can't understand what are you saying. I think i should develop few little php apps. Actually i don't need to read book cause books have only basics like arrays, loops , variables etc. I need something advanced who must have use in a website. Can anyone recommend my which applications i should develop as intermediate level.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good app to start with would be something like todo or blog, you can start with basic adding/editing/deleting items and later develop as many features as you please.
    By the way, those books suggested are not about basics, for sure.

Hosting Team Leader silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jennifer5 View Post
    i'm sorry guys i can't understand what are you saying. I think i should develop few little php apps. Actually i don't need to read book cause books have only basics like arrays, loops , variables etc. I need something advanced who must have use in a website. Can anyone recommend my which applications i should develop as intermediate level.
    There are many books out there that will help you dive into PHP with MySQL, two books I highly recommend are PHP & MySQL: Novice to Ninja and Simply SQL

Both of these will help you understand Database much more fully and in the process help you develop good patterns to use in PHP when developing a site.
    Be sure to congratulate Patche on earning July's Member of the Month
    Go ahead and blame me, I still won't lose any sleep over it
    My Blog | My Technical Notes

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @ronalds i am suggest w3school to solve her query under the development of a website it will help.The best way you are take a task and develop the website like hotel management ,library management taking any one topic start web development if you are minor query solve it through w3school also MySQL database. @ronalds this reason i suggest w3school.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by amitchoudhary View Post
    @ronalds i am suggest w3school to solve her query under the development of a website it will help.The best way you are take a task and develop the website like hotel management ,library management taking any one topic start web development if you are minor query solve it through w3school also MySQL database. @ronalds this reason i suggest w3school.
    W3schools is NOT a good resource. They are full of poor and outdated information, and using this site to learn almost anything will only work against you.

http://nettuts.com is a much better resource.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Learning PHP is not so difficult and there are many places and tutorials available online that could guide you in the best way, but PHP require some prerequite to start it such as HTML, javascript and CSS knowledge. you can get some of the help from Linda and w3schools.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    Learning PHP is not so difficult and there are many places and tutorials available online that could guide you in the best way, but PHP require some prerequite to start it such as HTML, javascript and CSS knowledge. you can get some of the help from Linda and w3schools.
    Yeah, for the 4 billionth time, DON'T USE W3SCHOOLS. IT IS CRAP.

Thanks.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Best way to learn PHP is practise online on w3schools, phpabout.com and net.tutsplus.com helps you alot to learn PHP. In internet, online book available and some forum are available to learn PHP. PHPabout.com helps to Step by step instructions for creating usable php applications for your website. ... to start learning a programming language, let me help get you started with PHP!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is easy to learn PHP, since you have learned html and css. As it is said above, I also think w3school is the best to learn PHP.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phpng View Post
    It is easy to learn PHP, since you have learned html and css. As it is said above, I also think w3school is the best to learn PHP.
    For the 4, 823, 239, 124, 343 time: W3SCHOOLS IS CRAP.

Just ignore these people advising you to go there. They're just amateurs.

Hosting Team Leader silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WARNING:
    Next person to mention w3schools as a learning resource will be fluffed. It has already been mentioned (numerous times) and refuted. Please offer something original and meaningful to the OP. If you must mention w3schools, back it up with a good reason/personal experience. Otherwise, mention the other countless ways you should be keeping your PHP skills honed, blogs you follow, magazines you order, etc.
    Be sure to congratulate Patche on earning July's Member of the Month
    Go ahead and blame me, I still won't lose any sleep over it
    My Blog | My Technical Notes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can learn PHP from YouTube videos. There are tons and tons of videos.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've tried learning PHP using w3schools but that website is full of crap. Do NOT even try, you will become more confused than you were before.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jennifer5 View Post
    There are books out there that will go beyond the basics (arrays, Loops, variables, etc..) like Beginning PHP 5.3 (WROX PROGRAMMER TO PROGRAMMER) that I am currently reading. Simply skip to the OOP or beyond chapters if you already know or are comfortable with the basics. Go on the Internet and search for tutorials on PHP, but avoid tutorials that teach you mysql instead of tutorials showcasing mysqli (specially Tutorials using prepare statements) or PDO and if you see them using magic quotes run for the hills. PHP has been around for a long time and just like I.E. 6 people don't want to give up outdated stuff specially businesses. That is why there are a lot of bad tutorials on the web as already mention. One last thing there are no short cuts when it comes to learning a programming language. I have either taking classes or self-taught on the following languages Actionscript, JavaScript , JQuery and C++ ... I also have learned some obsolete languages that are no longer being used (I'm a dinosaur ). All doing shortcuts does is cause you hours of frustration and writing bad code, my advice is do it right the first time around and you won't be pulling your hair out.