SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Do you think practicing a "Switch to a new browser day" will be effective?

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

0 0%
  • No

7 100.00%

Hybrid View

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Switch to a new browser day

Hello,
    What do you think about practicing a 'Switch to a new browser day' on which we can inform people that are using older browsers to switch to a new or different one on our websites.
    Here is the link to the original idea:
    http://www.beaconwatch.com/post.php?id=18
    Let me know what you think.
    Thanks.

Grüße aus'm Pott gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    214 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    It's a nice idea, but I don't think it'll have much effect.
    Your target groups are:
    a) people on corporate networks
    b) people with little technical knowledge

Group a cannot change (whether they want to or not), as the decision lies with the company they work for.
    Group b (I'm thinking of my parents and their friends) don't want to change as what they have works.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, even I believe it would be hard to implement. But like you said, if we just target 'group a' and the owners of the website want to practice it, then it will definitely help. But what I like about this idea is that it is just suppose to be for a day, every year. So even if major websites like Google, Facebook, Youtube and twitter practice this day. I think it will definitely help and every year when new browsers come out, more people will switch to them because of this. But that's just how I feel.

Utopia, Inc. silver trophy
    Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't inform people one day a year that they can switch browser, but rather tell people with very old browsers every day of the year that they should update, using a service like http://browser-update.org/
    Rémon - Hosting Advisor

SitePoint forums will switch to Discourse soon! Make sure you're ready for it!

Minimal Bookmarks Tree
    My Google Chrome extension: browsing bookmarks made easy

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lol, yeah you can do that too. But the important thing is that, imo, famous websites should definitely do it for it to be effective, at least one day or all year long.

Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jhones123 View Post
    Lol, yeah you can do that too. But the important thing is that, imo, famous websites should definitely do it for it to be effective, at least one day or all year long.

Google already do that 365 days a year and 366 days in leap years. Anyone who doesn't have their browser set ti identify itself as Chrome will get a message suggesting that they upgrade to Chrome every time they do a search.
    Stephen J Chapman

javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not changing the Chrome, man

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by frankdevine View Post
    You must stick to your typical browser like Mozilla Firefox because of its perks:
    But Firefox isn't a typical browser.

1. It is the only browser without a debugger built in.
    2. It is slower than all the other browsers.
    3. It is getting close to being the least standards compatible browser now that IE has almost caught up.

You really should consider switching to a good browser such as Chrome or Opera and leave that antiquated Firefox behind.
    Stephen J Chapman

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've tried 5 browsers - IE, FF, chrome, safari, rockmelt but still id like how FF and chrome features saves me a lot of work and time...rockmelt is cool though

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy cydewaze's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by felgall View Post
    You really should consider switching to a good browser such as Chrome or Opera and leave that antiquated Firefox behind.
    I hear a lot of people extolling the virtues of Opera, and I have a copy installed on my machine, but I haven't really noticed that much of a speed difference between it and FF. Maybe the Linux versions are less different speed-wise than the Windows versions?

The main reason I use Firefox is because of all the developer extensions (HTML tidy, web developer toolbar, color picker, color contrast tester, etc), and I don't know how many of these are available on Opera.

Now my phone is a different story. I started using Dolphin a while back, which was a decent browser, but I've since switched to Chrome. I just prefer the way it works and renders pages.
    <cfset myblog = "http://cydewaze.org/">

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think people should have at least 2 good browsers installed on their system. I always use Chrome, but I also have Firefox installed. Rarely when something is acting weird in Chrome, such as if some video is not playing correctly.. then I use Firefox.

Mouse catcher silver trophy Stevie D's Avatar
    Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cydewaze View Post
    I hear a lot of people extolling the virtues of Opera, and I have a copy installed on my machine, but I haven't really noticed that much of a speed difference between it and FF. Maybe the Linux versions are less different speed-wise than the Windows versions?

The main reason I use Firefox is because of all the developer extensions (HTML tidy, web developer toolbar, color picker, color contrast tester, etc), and I don't know how many of these are available on Opera.
    Two of the main speed advantages that Opera has are (i) it has a lot more native functions than Firefox, so there is less need to slow it down with clunky add-ons (this is often why Firefox performs badly on speed tests), and (ii) it has lots of shortcuts that allow you to carry out tasks quicker because you aren't hunting through menus or typing as much in. It has great web developer facilities (including a colour picker!), which I've barely scratched the surface of. It generally gets new features first and they are then copied by other browsers, natively or as add-ons, some time later.

I have been using Opera for years, and any time I have to use any other browser I feel like I'm not just trying to work it left-handed but left-footed, because so many of the tricks that I usually use don't work. It takes a little bit of effort to get the best out of it, which is what puts a lot of people off, but what you get back for that little bit of effort is well worth it.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No change. Still now I am using Mozilla Firefox.
    <snip />
    Last edited by cpradio; Mar 6, 2013 at 05:40. Reason: Please wait 90 days for a real signature

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy cydewaze's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess I'll have to do some Opera fiddling when I get home tonight.
    <cfset myblog = "http://cydewaze.org/">

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having number of browsers will not help. The only thing that is going to help is the browser that you are comfortable with like in using and about its add on.
    So that you will have update version of browser keep it on automatic check for update and install.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ankush271 View Post
    Having number of browsers will not help.
    Particularly with all the people still running old browsers who don't even know that such a thing as a browser exists - to then the blue "e" on their desktop IS the internet so why would they expect to use anything else.
    Stephen J Chapman