User Tag List

Hybrid View

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Please review my photo-tainment website

Hey all, would love to hear any feedback you could provide on this site: www.youcanquotethis.com.

Thanks in advance, your time is appreciated.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's an interesting concept. If I understand the purpose of the website, it's to make quotes for pictures to interact with each other. I guess for this site, I would suggest some sort of integration with facebook or twitter in the comments. The only reason I'm saying this is that sort of integration could alert more people to your site via facebook.

You could argue that facebook comments would only provide you with a thumbs up button instead of both thumbs up and thumbs down, but even YouTube is seriously trying to discourage the use of the thumbs down button by their apparent discoloration of their red-bar on videos.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by teknoaxe View Post
    ... I guess for this site, I would suggest some sort of integration with facebook or twitter in the comments. The only reason I'm saying this is that sort of integration could alert more people to your site via facebook..
    Teknoaxe, Thanks for your comments.
    I do have some interaction with Facebook where you can like and/or share your picture. However, i'm not sure that integrating my comments would be the best idea for me because the comments ("quotes") really only hold a special meaning on the site. Did you happen to figure out what the "view quote" button did? If you haven't, it should explain what I mean by "special meaning". I'm in the process of making this more apparent as I feel most people gloss over its meaning.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would just like to kindly bump this thread up and hope for some more feedback. Thanks.

SitePoint Enthusiast WebOutGateway's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So it's more like 9gag, isn't? Well, content wise, I think it's okay, but the design... hmmm, it's quite boring, I mean, the look and feel is very 90s
    Witness how bright ideas transform into your website needs.
    Visit and connect us now for your
    Mobile Application Development requirements.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The look & feel is not bad. Please make your navigation more user friendly. You can add mote keywords on your Title Meta Tag (but within 70 characters). Reduce the characters from your Meta Description, keep within 150-152 characters.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You should work a bit on design part, take a look at similar succesful sites.

SitePoint Addict bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jason,

I like your idea here. Its novel and entertaining and I think people would escape from their day for a few minutes to put captions on pictures.

I think you need some help with the layout. Its clunky and unappealing.

I would first take a look at the color scheme. The colors clash and many of the page elements blend into the background. You should make the middle wrapper with all of the content stand out more. Either leave it the color that it is and make the body background dark or vis versa. Use a few complementary colors and leave it at that. The light blue and peach color you have are not going well together.

Your main navigation is drowned out by other elements on the page. Its hard to see how you navigate around the site. Make it stand out somehow.

I see what you are trying to do with your logo but I would include the word quote in it. This leads into my next point.

Its hard to tell what I’m supposed to do when I get to your site. I already had a basic idea by reading the other members comments and because I was actually trying to give you some useful feedback so I stuck around for a little while. Regular visitors will not be so forgiving. Here is what I would do (and this is just to guide you, you may find that some things work and some don’t).
    Remove the ad at the top.
    Use the word quote in your logo
    Describe briefly what visitors are supposed to do either in a tag line underneath your logo or somewhere above the fold that is prominent. For instance “Place your own quotes on popular images” or “Its Easy! Find an Image, Make a funny quote, share with friends!”. Does that make sense?

I like you “popular this week” category but I don’t like how you have it laid out. Its distracting and I don’t know why its there. Find a way to make visitors understand what the pictures are doing there and why they are important.

I think if you work on making those elements better, you will have something nice. Here are some more tips,

http://www.webdesignerdepot.com/2008...web-designers/

Hope that helps and good luck!

Shawn

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    smanaher,

Thank you for your thorough response. Your time was much appreciated. I heard it loud and clear from you and the other reviewers that a design overhaul is needed. Your suggestions will definitely be helpful when I finally undergo that process.

Thanks again,

Jason

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I feel you! I just launched a site and my design is still crappy but your site is at least going somewhere. Keep it up! Good content, by the way!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Jason,

First off, nice site. While the layout and color scheme is definitely a bit clunky and less-than-attractive, really it doesn't matter too much with sites like these as people are generally just consuming the content and not paying attention to the details. I would change the colors and maybe use a more modern font but aside from that, the site functions well and that's what's important.

More concerning is that it took me a few minutes of poking around before I realized exactly what this site does. The last thing I noticed was that you could click-through identical images with different captions on them--very cool! I think you need to make this more obvious by making the left/right scroll buttons stand out more. And maybe a very blunt call to action at the top of the site very simply describing the purpose. i.e.: "Caption Photos - Best Caption Wins!!" That sort of thing.

Also, it would be cool if non logged-in users could give thumbs-up. I'm the type of person that won't bother signing up for a site like this, but if I get sucked in because someone links me to a funny post I'd still like to thumb-up some stuff.

You might want to change your permalinks unless the date is important to SEO: http://www.youcanquotethis.com/2013/...rio-ferdinand/ --because the date isn't really relevant to these photos (comedy is timeless) so dating them only, well, dates them. And "outdated" content has a shorter life span.

Finally, I would make the logo stand out more. Maybe a white font with a black outline. And while 'You can "this" .com' is clever, it might make it harder to read/remember the name of your site. Why risk that?

Good luck with it all!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,
    A very interesting site with some great comedy photos but think it would be better with more photos on your home page maybe smaller images, but interesting design.)

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seconding what has already been said here, I find the ads distracting and the distinction between page elements to be lacking. It seems like to really get traction, you need to facilitate the creation of content. I'd focused on two things: a stripped down stream of content (a la Tumblr) and a dead simple creation tool (paired with standard sharing options)

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This site really nice, but i think you should work on navigation menu to make attractive. thanks

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hm,
    I get the following error:

The following error was encountered while trying to retrieve the URL: http://www.youcanquotethis.com/

Connection to 50.63.178.160 failed.

The system returned: (111) Connection refused

The remote host or network may be down. Please try the request again.

Your cache administrator is webmaster.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    horizontal menu - nice
    background - to replace / do in uniform colors
    in general - good