SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ADMINS- if this is posted in the wrong place, please move it to the appropriate forum.
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I've received a query from a prospective client about doing text searches on Word files stored on a LAN (no internet access required). I don't have all the details yet, but the object of the exercise (as I understand it) is:

1) to create some way to do text searches of the Word files without having to manipulate the existing files.

2) or, to make (1) possible with the least amount of manipulation of the Word files.

New files are generated daily/weekly using a Word template file, so any solution(s) need to account for the new files as well as the existing ones.

The solution can be browser based, CGI, PHP etc., or whatever works best.

Since I don't code at all I'd be looking to sub-contract this if the client agrees to the proposed solution.

TIA for any help anyone can provide.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    when you say "without manipulating the files" do you mean without changing what is in them? if this is so, then just open the document as a regular text file.

[Edited by progbuc on 10-16-2000 at 09:57 PM]
    go to www.kubmedia.com, a great web page design site, and sign up to be the first to find out when it launches!

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can open up a word document as a plain text file.

At the top and bottom will be a bunch of gibberish but the main body text will remain fairly intact and be searchable.

Then it just comes down to opening and parsing through a text file which is such a common need that I'm sure you could find tutorials about it in whatever language you prefer.

Chris

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    progbuc,

These forums are not for soliciting subcontractors. Bimjo was asking if anyone could recommend a solution to the problem that he could take to his client. He has to sell that solution to his client before he can even consider subcontractors.

Please see article #5 of the community guidelines and try to be more helpful in future. :-)
    Kevin Yank
    CTO, sitepoint.com
    I wrote: Simply JavaScript | BYO PHP/MySQL | Tech Times | Editize
    Baby’s got back—a hard back, that is: The Ultimate CSS Reference