SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WordPress CMS and URL re-directs - Preview Page error

Greetings, I have a unique problem I haven't seen addressed anywhere, and I would appreciate any guidance you can give me.

I designed a website with WordPress 3.4.2. I created the "testing" site at www.stbedesmenlopark.com

When I went live with the website, we want the main URL to be www.stbedesmenlopark.org So I pointed the .com site to the .org URL.

The WordPress dashboard is still residing at the .com URL, and when I am editing a "page" and I click "preview page" I get an error message that says "you do not have permission to view drafts". The page is published, not
    a draft, and I am the main administrator with all privileges. This happened right after I re-directed the URL.

Any ideas on how to guide me?
    Thankyou,
    Last edited by Mittineague; Mar 1, 2013 at 18:38. Reason: OP forgot to turn off auto-link

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    till now i can still access to your .com website.. the Redirect don't seem to work... you can use this on your htaccess file :

RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /

RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^(www\.)?stbedesmenlopark\.com$ [NC]
    RewriteRule ^(.*)$ http://www.stbedesmenlopark.org/$1 [R=301,L]
    This redirects both the www and non-www for stbedesmenlopark.com to www.stbedesmenlopark.org

Goodluck

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Deadmix - thanks for the help.
    I put this information on my .htaccess file, and it did re-route the .com, but now I can't access my WordPress Dashboard, at either .com/wp-admin.php or at .org/wp-admin.php

My current .htaccess file has this info on it - do I keep any of this code, or replace it with only the code you have above?

# BEGIN WordPress

<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
    RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /
    RewriteRule ^index\.php$ - [L]
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
    RewriteRule . /index.php [L]
    </IfModule>

# END WordPress

Again - thanks for your help - France - nice, I'm from the US - Michigan - lots of snow now!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyekons View Post
    Hi Deadmix - thanks for the help.
    I put this information on my .htaccess file, and it did re-route the .com, but now I can't access my WordPress Dashboard, at either .com/wp-admin.php or at .org/wp-admin.php

My current .htaccess file has this info on it - do I keep any of this code, or replace it with only the code you have above?

# BEGIN WordPress

<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
    RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /
    RewriteRule ^index\.php$ - [L]
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
    RewriteRule . /index.php [L]
    </IfModule>

# END WordPress
    Hello there,

add just this :

RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^(www\.)?stbedesmenlopark\.com$ [NC]
    RewriteRule ^(.*)$ http://www.stbedesmenlopark.org/$1 [R=301,L]
    before the : # BEGIN WordPress

I just test and i can access the login board from stbedesmenlopark.com/wp-login.php and from the .org also... try again with this trick!

Concerning the snow here also there is a lot hhhhhhhhhh annoying lol

SitePoint Guru bronze trophy Slackr's Avatar
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you don't plan on ever using the .com in the live version I would run a change to the URL in the database. This is the same process as when you migrate from a completely different URL and is covered in the wordpress codex. If you rewrite the URL inside the database you won't have to worry about re-writes outside of Wordpress, even if it is occurring at the server level. Internally Wordpress knows what to refer to so you won't get errors. Simple and clean.