User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Please review my Builders website

Hi,

I built this site last month, would appreciate any feedback especially if it's constructive.

Thanks.

http://www.scbuildersdarlington.co.uk/

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The website is fairly intuitive to use. My suggestion is that in your images section, you might want to include the option for users to view larger versions of your work. It's hard to tell what the quality of your work is in thumbnail format, so it would be better if the user could click on an image and have a larger version displayed on the screen.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As teknoaxe said. I would agree with him.
    Use larger images. The images must be high quality and those high quality images. Avoid uploading low quality images.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The truth is... the site looks like "my first website made in school 10 years ago".
    If you need to post something about your business in the Internet and don't have enough money for a good web design, better do it in wikipedia style.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi David,

I agree that this website could look more professional, but then I'm not sure about the scope of your business and whether the style of your website would affect the clients you get. It's important to keep in mind though, so I would recommend getting some user feedback. After all, a 9 pounds a month website is only worth it if it's enticing customers to book your services.

Having said that, here are some tweaks I think you could make to ensure this website is better at getting your message across:
    * Remove replies from your twitter feed on the home page. Without the original tweet, these messages are confusing and don't add much to the user experience.
    * There's a typo in your footer text. While an error isn't a hanging offence, enough mistakes on your website might make customers wonder if your building skills are also sloppy.
    * You tell customers they should look no further...but why? If it's because you're a family owned business who are really personal and take care of the job from start to finish, say that. If it's because your 15 years experience in the local area means you can give good value, say that. Whatever it is, think about why the customer would want to choose you over any one else, and make that really clear
    * Your before and after photos are great! It might be worth writing up some case studies and interview your past clients. Emphasise how your work made their lives better; this is also an opportunity to showcase your experience, skill and customer service in action.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

your site is fair enough but font size should be small and image should be larger and try to improve your footer also.
    Use social media link for covering the bottom space and you can also add a image gallery in footer.

<snip>
    Last edited by Force Flow; Mar 15, 2013 at 11:21. Reason: Please wait 90 days before adding a signature

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm going to be blunt. The color scheme is horrible. It would drive me away in ten seconds or less if I didn't want to look at it (because you asked us to).

As for your copy, how about simply,
    Welcome to S.C. Building and Plastering, a family owned and operated buisness in Darlington. Founded in [year] by owners Steve and Claire Hepton, we have over fifteen years of experience in the building and home improvement business.

Our expertise includes, plastering, decorating, and interior renovations, as well as additions, and landscaping.

Quotations are always free.

Our goal is high quality workmanship, your complete satisfaction, and to stay within your budget, and complete all work within the estimated timeframe.

"Free quotations" cannot ensure "meet[ing] requirements."

You might try, "Please view our photo album for examples of our work." You wouldn't post photos of somebody else's work, would you? The photos need to be much larger.

You need a better headline. "Welcome to S.C. Builders and Plastering [of] Darlington" is a bit repetitious. The logo above names the company, and the copy below names it again.

Maybe something like, (this is just a suggestion) "Is your home in need of some TLC?" (That's "tender loving care," just in case that isn't used in the U.K. You may choose something else.)
    Subhead: "You've come to the right place. We can help."

Sounds like you are begging them to contact the business in the last paragraph. How about, "Contact us today to discuss your needs with us, at [phone No.]"

Here is one I built for a construction company in our area: http://www.clydeconstructionservicesltd.com/

You need to learn to write copy, or hire somebody else to do it.

Good luck.
    William Otis
    Flamenco aficionado and Freelance Web designer
    www.dreammakergraphics.com/

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Re. "Look no further..." You are right. I was going to mention that too, and forgot. I agree with you. Needs to answer, "Why?"
    William Otis

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by weboutsoucing View Post
    For SEO Point of View this is not Proper Design and Also Not Good For Looking.
    From a feedback point of view, this isn't very constructive, please elaborate.

Thanks for the other comments guys, will get to work on the suggestions!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The color scheme isn't the best. The text at the bottom of the page is very difficult to read, should be more contrast. I use this website for color schemes: https://kuler.adobe.com/ You can find a set of greens that likely work better together. There is text in the footer that floats outside the footer in lower resolutions. You have a similar issue with some of the content on your contact us page. Try zooming in and out with your browser or changing your resolution to replicate these issues. You can use cntrl + or cntrl - to zoom in and out.

I would include a lightbox with higher res images in your gallery, so that when a user clicks on an image they get a higher resolution version. This is a free lightbox tool http://fancybox.net/ that works pretty well.

You can also check out weebly.com, its a pretty easy to use tool for making simple websites.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As i wanna to feedback concerning your website "have to update content as standard reading with image size, make celestial design of web sites".

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a good example of why a Web designer needs to have a background in art. Just because one can write code, does not make him/her a Web designer. There are enough ugly Websites out there already. This one is one of the worst.

The truth is, it's positively awful!
    Last edited by Force Flow; Mar 15, 2013 at 11:23. Reason: merged posts
    William Otis

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi David

The website is rather intuitive to use.
    My implication is that in your images section, you might want to take in the option for users to view better versions of your work. It's hard to tell what the quality of your work is in thumbnail format, so it would be better if the user could click on an image and have a larger version displayed on the screen.
    Last edited by Stevie D; Mar 19, 2013 at 02:26. Reason: Self promotion removed

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The website looks good but it could be a lot more better. The concern must be in the images. Since you are offering some service and you need a proof images, then make it more larger to view the certainty of your service offered. Or the best thing that you can do is to address this to the expert so that they can make a good improvement on your site.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your youtube Channel don't link with websites. First of All create youtube channel and Linked to your websites. according too online Rules Social Media increase your visitors. Design that you use its not relate to your Product change web sites Design. If we provide All Type of Design you can contact me I will give Demo.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah it needs some work. The green lines are no good, and the text desperately needs some padding on the left. A few horizontal lines <hr /> to break up the text at the different sections (especially on services page) would be great.

The 2 rows of lists on the services page should be links that either lead to anchored text about the service or gallery images of work related to those links.

Definitely need to break up the "where we work" text so the locations are different from the sentence leading up to them. Particularly:
    We cover the whole of the North East including, but not limited to the following:
    Images on the services page should be clickable to view either the gallery or larger versions of the image.

The green hue in the logo has to go.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The site is ok. A little too bright for my taste. On your home page the image to the right has a little more room around the text. Either putting a bigger size image to cover the empty area or decreasing the image size would make it look better. The gallery is more like a before and after and it doesn't say that so a user may try to click on images. Also the ability to see a bigger picture after a click would be nice.