SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What do you guys think of YaBB.org? I think that's what I'm getting. Looks nice, has the UBB, vB feel to it and is free.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally, I've never used it, thus, I cannot give my opinion on it. ezboard.com also offers a vBulletin/UBB look for free.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm on ezboard right now, but want something hosted on my server, thus my intrest in YaBB.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It looks nice. I tried to install it but couldn't get it done, so I gave up. (Who'd have thought that UBB would be easier for me to install). The instructions are a little sparse (IMO), but they have the support board and all.

It appears to be a big step up from ezBoard. And you can't argue with the price. If I didn't already own a UBB license, I'd probably work harder to get the YaBB installed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last month I asked the YaBB developer about the differences between YaBB and vBulletin. He said that YaBB was so new that its security and stability are not as good as vBulletin. He said that YaBB has more bugs. I now own a vBulletin board, and I frequent one that uses YaBB. I'll have to agree with his assessment.

Currently, YaBB uses flat files, which is not as efficient as vBulletin's MySQL database. YaBB promises a MySQL version, but not until two versions from now. And, of course, it will be their first attempt at a MySQL board versus the more mature vBulletin.

I'd go with vBulletin.
    Jim Lewis
    To BE or Not to BE, or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Barium Enema
    FrappyDoo Forums

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heck, forget that! There are plenty of PHP/SQL forums available now for free...phpBB, phpBoard, tForum...not to mention one Matt Kaufman is working one, and a crappy little one I've got underway. They're not great, but I think we've all got more options than we may realize.