SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm hoping to start some sort of gaming fansite, but first need a well designed template. So far this is what I have:
    http://cisites.com/test

[Edited by cisites on 10-13-2000 at 06:34 PM]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    at the moment its a plain design. I would suggest that you get some one to make a site logo or something to put at the top. The colours; Try out different scheems before finaly deciding what to do.

Also most important look at other gaming fansites to see how they are designed and take the ideas in it should improve it alot.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Based only on what you have up, and based on viewing the site in IE4 on a Windows PC at 640x480, 800x600 and 1024x768:

1. Loads fast.

2. Fonts view fine at all the above mentioned resolutions.

3. At 640x480, right side of table cuts off, but:
    a. since you are aiming your site at a gaming
    audience, I would guess that most of your visitors
    will be using higher resolutions.
    b. if you are planning to primarily put ads on the
    right, your visitors probably won't care that much
    that they can't see it.

4. I would add a little cellpadding in the gray nav bar so that the text doesn't run up so close to the edge. Not much, just a little.

5. I feel that the table needs something else, perhaps a border or bevelled edges or something to further define the edges, etc. I realize that the design is unfinished, but the table looks very unfinished and crude.

That's about it for now. Since I am not a gamer, I really can't comment on any content to go on the right. I think you have an okay foundation, but it needs refining. Once you add images, assuming they are high-quality, this will help alot, but I would also work on really giving the table a sleeker, more finished look.

Good luck with it!

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Loading time was fine on my end (ADSL from halfway around the world).

I'll be frank here, while I've always like simplicity in web design, your site could be a little too plain for its own good. Black, white and grey don't exactly make an attractive colour combination, or, at least not in the way you presented them.

Referring to the navigation menu, do not line up text right up to the edge of the cell, does not look good.

The font size is ok, but a san-serif face might serve better.

Having rounded corners at the top and sharp corners at the bottom seem funny to me, but you'll have to fill it up with more content to see what it will really look like live.

One other thing, anti-alias your graphics (my pet peeve ).

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I made all the tables have the same border image so rounded corners are everywhere now. I changed the font to MS Sans Serif. The image to the far right nav bar, makes the text not up against the cell anymore. I will put a poll over to the right, but I don't know if that will stay. I also added CSS for the fonts. What do you guys think? I can now be found at:
    http://www.cisites.com/test

[Edited by cisites on 10-07-2000 at 01:23 PM]

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its to plain...go and check out http://www.coolhomepages.com/ you'll get some good ideas from there.

Mess around with a few different color combinations, Iím sure you'll be able to find a better combo than grey, white and black.

You current design will end up wasting alot of screen space under the nav and poll area. You should look at finding a way to make better use of what is valuable screen space.

good luck!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd put a bit more space between the left navigation panel and the items on the right, so it doesn't look as squeezed together. And the date is a bit squeezed against the first paragraph -- some white space would help separate the two.

The cisites poll is coming soon? How soon? 1 week, 1 month, what. It's really meaningless and viewers ignore it, so why include it? It's a bit like "under construction". When I see those two words, I'm gone.

Compare "coming soon" to the word NEW you see so often on web pages -- what does new mean? last week? 2 months ago? How old is it before it is no longer new? I think you see my point. When you are ready to take the poll, then put it on the page.

I like the simple, easy to read design, but have never liked black, even for a gaming site. It's a bit harsh and there are so many other choices.

Good luck with your site and the idea.

Gene-B

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I'm kind of disappointed. The graphics didn't load first of all, which means that the look couldn't be totally fulfilled, making the site look horribly plain.

It's too basic for me to really give you a good review really. I mean, the graphics are what would make everything else work or not work.

I think that the background colors should be changed. Maybe lighten it up. Unless you are going to focus on games like Diablo 2 or something, then you should look at making the site happier, and a little more fun, as a lot of gaming sites that do well, do so because they look welcoming. If your site doesn't appear to be welcoming, you're going to get a very select audience. A welcoming site, will allow a visitor to get comfortable and they'll come to the site much more frequently.

Hope that helps, but I can't say much more, until there is more.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did some remodeling, but still need desperate help with the colors. Anyone have suggestions?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    okay, here's what I think you should do.

to me, its alright with the plain design and colours..but it could be spruced up a little.

For example, your text links in the middile..have a colour something like towards the matted sort. Like matted green or something. definitely not bright green...though!

next, at your left sidebar..
    here's some modifications you could make.
    add some space beside the edge of the sidebar...dun let the text touch the edge..leave some gap! =)

also, reduce the font size of Home, Archives, FAQ, Forum, Media, Press and Staff. Its too large a contrast between the description of the link and the link.

lastly, while I have noticed that the edge of the design all had spacngs, the top image didn't have. leave some gap between the top and the top-image....juz like the rest
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world."
    -- Albert Einstein

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    putting colours to one side - you need to urgently sort out your radius images and header title font. They arnt anti-aliased...do you know what this term means? If so, go back to photoshop/psp and re-do them.
    If u dont know what anti-alias is:
    your 'curved corners' are blocky and pixelated, this is caused by having anti aliase turned off at the stage when you made the images. Where did you make the images?
    To see what smooth curved corners should look like see this site:
    http://www.btconnect.com/

regards
    bj
    regards BJ

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    stay away from dull colors

did you check out http://www.coolhomepages.com ?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm using Pain Shop Pro and can't figure out ow to anti-alias anything. I click on the 'draw' icon, but don't get any options according to the instructions.

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by cisites
    I'm using Pain Shop Pro and can't figure out ow to anti-alias anything. I click on the 'draw' icon, but don't get any options according to the instructions.
    If you select "View -> Toolbars", you can select "View Options Toolbar" in the resulting dialog box. This will show your options for each tool as it is selected. This toolbox automatically collapses so to actually see the options you have to move your mouse over the title bar.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alright, I got that anti-alias check marked, so when does it actually do anything? And does the new background add more diversity to the site?

[Edited by cisites on 10-13-2000 at 02:49 PM]

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is fairly plain. Here are a few ideas.

Why not have a logo which has screenshots of some games in the background? I have seen many gaming sites do this and it is very effective.

The menu should be completly re-done in my honest opinion. If you are having trouble making the menu on your own, I might suggest taking a look at http://www.webgfx.ch . They have a "Navigator" creator which allows you to create custom navigational menu's for free.

As someone else suggested, take a look at other gaming sites and get examples from them. A few gaming sites with great design are:
    http://www.planetquake.com
    http://www.ugo.com
    http://www.firingsquad.com

The best of luck with your site.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now that you have anti-alias checked, when you use the shapes tool or when you draw a line it will be smooth. If you look at your corners now they look jaggedy. The anti-alias feature will alleviate that. Use the shapes tool and draw a circle with the anti-alias checked and then again with it unchecked, you will notice a difference.

At the time that I designed my sites I wasn't aware of this either, so you know what my my next side project will be
    Bob Messinger
    Movie-Fever.com - News, Reviews, Trailers..
    Movie Fever Forums - Visit and discuss movies with other fans!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I redid the entire site and readded the poll. How's it looking now?

[Edited by cisites on 10-15-2000 at 12:56 PM]

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I decided to go with a .gif background rather then put my links and nav bar in a table. I think it's come along way. What do you think?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hi

i have looked and i do not see .gif background.

please advise.

thanks edshuck

more:

in the wider screen, the page crowds to the left. might consider centering the whole thing.

thanks edshuck

[Edited by edshuck on 10-16-2000 at 03:10 PM]

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I still think you need one or two strong colours to give your site more of an identity. Like say, Blue's News, or maybe the Firing Squad.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The entire background is an image...
    I designed the site on 1024x700 so I know there is some space, but it fits perfect on 800x600, so I'm going to leave the page aligned to the left. I guess the main problem is coloring since that's what various other people say as well, I just don't know what to change. However, I did add some images, but now I'm afraid it is going to look amateurish. Anymore suggestion? (And I know about the overlapping image background).

[Edited by cisites on 10-16-2000 at 05:23 PM]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You've done well! I must say its a huge improvement from the first design!

Good work!
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world."
    -- Albert Einstein

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Finally! I've been working on that basic design for almost 2 months and finally got my first complement. Someone complained about the football image in another review, so I took it down, but the site looks worse now, so I'll put it back up later.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is still one more minor thing you could do though. =)
    The http://www.cisites.com/images/ban.gif image, can be replaced with text usig tables..or you can furthur reduce its size. As its only black and white, you an image compressor program like Ulead Smartsaver to reduce the image. Compare gif and jpeg format and see which size is smaller.

As design is satisfactory, you aim now is to reduce load time.
    -- Albert Einstein