SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do link building tools really work?

Since this is the SEO section, I would like ask if link building tools actually work, I am fairly new to the world of SEO(around 2 weeks) so I may be missing something here, but to clarify.

In the process of link building, it's usually a 3 step process for building a reliable and high quality link network.

1.Number of sites linking to your domain (Links)
    2.The authority of sites linking to you (Trust)
    3.The anchor text of the links linking to you (Relevance)

And although link-building tools pretty much complete step 1 without any effort, isn't it a problem if step 2 and 3 get messed up?
    Wouldn't it do more harm than good if lots of spammy(assuming) websites link to your website with irrelevant content completely unrelated to yours?

I have read a post a user of this forum posted on one of the threads here, it was like shedding some light to the reality of things, and he had the same opinion as I did.

But due to the number of users giving positive feedbacks regarding the use of link-building tools, I am forced to cast a benefit of doubt towards it's usage and effectiveness.

So my question is.

1.Do these tools really work?
    2.Do they improve your rankings in the SERPS?
    3.Do they provide long lasting results?
    4.And most of all, do they do more harm than good? or otherwise?

Life is not a malfunction gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    266 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by juleusjohn View Post
    So my question is.

1.Do these tools really work?
    I've never used them, but presumably they do in the short term, or nobody would use them.
    2.Do they improve your rankings in the SERPS?
    Again, they may well do in the short term.
    3.Do they provide long lasting results?
    No. Just look around the forums at the number of members posting because their site have suddenly dropped in the rankings, and see how many of these had previously been engaged in large-scale link building, either automated or manual.
    4.And most of all, do they do more harm than good? or otherwise?
    The use of automated link building systems is specifically mentioned in Google's guidelines as a reason why your site might incur a penalty:
    Quote Originally Posted by Google
    The following are examples of link schemes which can negatively impact a site's ranking in search results:

• Buying or selling links that pass PageRank. This includes exchanging money for links, or posts that contain links; exchanging goods or services for links; or sending someone a “free” product in exchange for them writing about it and including a link
    • Excessive link exchanges ("Link to me and I'll link to you") or partner pages exclusively for the sake of cross-linking
    • Large-scale article marketing or guest posting campaigns with keyword-rich anchor text links
    • Using automated programs or services to create links to your site

https://support.google.com/webmaster...er/66356?hl=en

Again, you need only look around the forums to realise that avoiding a penalty is much easier than recovering from one.

So yes - there will always be people who advocate the use of these services, despite the fact that while there may be short-term gains, the long-term effects will be negative. For some reason, they all seem to think they can somehow outsmart the search engines and "it will never happen to me". Then when it does, they're here looking for solutions and more quick fixes.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    *sigh* right, as I've thought, it just seems to me that a lot of people are using it, and there's always hindsight bias about how it works and how it's so effective, I had to look for answers, now that it's cleared up, I think it would be best to avoid these tools.

Mentioned
    266 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    I think it would be best to avoid these tools.
    I agree.

(Just because lots of people do something doesn't make it right, or even sensible. )

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    with every google update, they get better at deciding relevancy and natural links. To me it doesn't make sense to use a tool that may create a bunch of low-quality links. A short term gain at best, in fact you may even get a penalty with future updates. I would concentrate on relevant original content, content, and more content.

joseph

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In today SEO? No!

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, it probably worked great before when Google did not yet have those algorithm updates. Now, I'm just using Scrapebox for research and data mining.

Mentioned
    266 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    It seems we're all in agreement here.

Thanks to all who contributed. Thread closed.