SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Thread: CPC vs CPM

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello everybody! This is my first post here :=)

I want to ask you something, hoping someone responds.

What's better? be an exclusive partner of a CPM network like Everyone.net giving them all your ad space and earn US$1.20 CPM or be a non-exclusive partner, earning US$0.6 CPM, but selling the rest of your ad inventory to other CPC networks?

And what's better, Valueclick or Advertising.com?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only network I would close an exclusive deal with is DoubleClick ( Network ) or About ( although I believe their rates are going down - still petty good from what I hear ).
    You will typically sign for 2-3 years for an exclusive deal and that is a LONG time - you can never say what will happen with your site or with Internet advertising in general.
    I take $0.60 anyday instead of $1.20, the price for freedom to change networks etc is much higher than that.

My best tip is:
    Sign up for as many networks as you can, you will see that they perform differently depending on season etc, for example I use
    My own selling, Flycast CPM, BurstMedia, AdFlight and send defaults that way as well.

ValueClick or Advertising? Been a while since I used them but from what I hear ValueClick might perform better - mostly cause you have the ability to select which banners to show on your site ( targetting ).

[Edited by Stefan Holmberg on 10-04-2000 at 02:17 PM]
    Stefan
    http://www.aspcode.net - articles on ASP/ASP.NET
    http://www.findfreefonts.net - jquery/ajax experiment site

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CPM is generally used by sites that generate thousands of impressions weekly, and CPC is used by smaller sites with less traffic. Advertising.com is certaintly a good choice for CPM/CPC. I also like BurstMedia.com and WebSiteSponsors.com.

Idea Developer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I woudl go with cpm, the money you make is more predictable that way, and usually you make more money.
    Professional PHP programing / Hosting
    aim: downtoi3iz icq: 74637813

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, my site is having 350000 impressions per month, but if I have more money to pay for more bandwith it can get 700000 or more (I've already done the test)

I tried doubleclick but I didn't do anything with them, because it seems like you must have more than 1000000 impressions to enter in a CPM program, that's right, right?

I'm thinking now in tell everyone I want to be non-exclusive and have CPM with everyone, CPC with Valueclick and CPUV? with Dai network. What do you think about that?
    Is there a better combination?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you all for answer!!

Well, my site is having 350000 impressions per month, but if I have more money to pay for more bandwith it can get 700000 or more (I've already done the test)

I tried doubleclick but I didn't do anything with them, because it seems like you must have more than 1000000 impressions to enter in a CPM program, that's right, right?

I'm thinking now in tell everyone I want to be non-exclusive and have CPM with everyone, CPC with Valueclick and CPUV? with Dai network. What do you think about that?
    Is there a better combination?

Lord of the Underworld
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Look at sites like BurstMedia.com

Adam

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, a combination between CPM and CPC will bring a better profit if you can sell ad inventory to CPC networks.
    I believe CPM always generates higher compensations
    - Son Nguyen
    AdSpeed.com - Ad Serving and Ad Management Made Easy