SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been checking the both of them out for a while and I've realized that there's not too much of difference between them. I'm not sure which one I should use for my website. Since they're both so good, I guess it's only a matter of preference.

Which do you guys recommend?

Thanks.
    fade

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBulletin requires MySql and Php. Go for it if your host supports it, it should be faster than UBB.

Padraic Lavin

Advertising Free Message Boards $5/mo
    Instant Setup. ForumCo.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I prefer boardpower by http://www.thewebmasterguide.com to ubb. I've only had it about a week, but I love it!

My message boards have never been busier.
    Cheese-N-Rice - A daily comic strip.

mouse monkey
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

I think vBulletin is by far the better of the two and you should use it if you host supports MySQl and PHP. There are many advantages too it including it is far quicker, cheaper and much more customizable through templates. It also has some advance features that UBB does not.

Sitepoint has just changed from UBB to vBulletin and the forum has became a lot quicker and I'm sure one of the admins will post a postive view on it.

Gosh I shound like an advert

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is much more than a matter of preference! Quite frankly, vBulletin is better than UBB in basically every way. The only downside is that your host needs to support PHP and MySQL...but if they do, the choice is clear...especially considering vBulletin is cheaper!

There really is no comparison...take it from someone who has used both many times and installed/configured both.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the replies.

It's just that I've seen UBB on more websites than the VBulletin. I noticed that the VBulletin has more features, I just wanted some feedback from others.

I'm trying to get things in order so I can sign up with Thinkhost in a couple of days, and I know they have PHP and MySQL so there shouldn't be a problem with that.
    fade

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBulletin is my choice. I don't think an explaination is needed after some of the earlier responses.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh yeah and what about the mass-emailing feature in VBulletin? I've read some posts about a lot of problems with it. Does it work or not?

Thanks.
    fade

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I havn't had any problems with it. The reason you see UBB used on more sites is because it has been around longer...definetly not because it's a superior program!

When it comes to a large board, UBB is almost factually incapable of handling the load in comparison to vB.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think there were problems with the mass emailing feature. It has been fixed though, search through vBulletins support forum on their website http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/index.php

Padraic Lavin

Advertising Free Message Boards $5/mo
    Instant Setup. ForumCo.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I had mysql and php, I'd go for vBulletin. Most of the forums I frequent are switching to it anyway. But since I don't have them (yet. talk to me when my host contract runs out!), I like boardpower over ubb.
    Cheese-N-Rice - A daily comic strip.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that vBulletin is slowly taking over many forums. I know of a lot of webmaster sites especially that use vBulletin. It isn't so special as it used to be when there were only a handful of sites.

I think that there are just too many forums on the Internet (I also think there are too many hosts and web design sites )

Still, I think vBulletin is an amazing script. Can anyone think of one way UBB is better than vB?

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having been a UBB admin here on SitePoint and now using vBulletin, I can say that now my work is about 10 times easier.

I don't have to email Jason or Matt, to have fixes or changes applied to the look and feel, I can simply login to the control panel and do them myself.

I have looked at the code of UBB and wouldn't know where to start to make changes. With vBulletin it is easy to read and know what to change. I don't even consider myself as knowing PHP yet.

The last thing I like is speed. Over my high speed line a page shows up in 1-2 seconds or about 10 times faster than it was in UBB.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I've noticed that too with the two boards. I checked out the demo of both of them and the vBulletin control panel looks so much better. I'm going to go with vBulletin, I just hope I don't come across any problems setting it up!

fade

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL...that last line makes me want to laugh. The setup is so easy, it's sick! You upload the files in the specificed folder, you run the install.php file from your browser, and you click a link that says essentially "next" 4 or 5 times. Then you just fill out the form...name of site, email, etc. It creates all the SQL tables on its own.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Damn! Sorry, I thought it was more complex than that! I guess I'll see for myself when I set it up.

Thanks.
    fade

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by TWTCommish
    LOL...that last line makes me want to laugh. The setup is so easy, it's sick! You upload the files in the specificed folder, you run the install.php file from your browser, and you click a link that says essentially "next" 4 or 5 times. Then you just fill out the form...name of site, email, etc. It creates all the SQL tables on its own.
    yep the install takes less than 5 mins and you will be up and running in no time....

my advice is to read the vbulletin.com forum's installation forum just to be aware of what problems could arise if your server setup ain't the norm

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, after reading the above, even I'm a little tempted to move to vBulletin now One question...with vBulletin, does pruning messages every once in a while for performance sake become completely irrelevant?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    any opinions on phpbb?

http://www.phpbb.com

uses php and mySQL, just heard about it a few days ago. You still have to download it from CVS, but it is free and looks REALLY good to me.

any1 used it?

Jim
    http://www.freejavahelp.com
    Making Java REALLY Easy
    Tutorials, Forums, and Articles

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by GeorgeC
    Ok, after reading the above, even I'm a little tempted to move to vBulletin now One question...with vBulletin, does pruning messages every once in a while for performance sake become completely irrelevant?
    I have heard that you have to worry about archiving and pruning when you get to around 1 million messages. We'll see, with UBB old messages were pruned from these forums periodically. Now we can let it grow and see what happens.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------