Hybrid View

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Please review my cattery web site

Hi,

Working on a web site for a local cattery business, comments would be welcome if they are constructive especially.

Thanks.

http://wolvistoncatterydurham.co.uk

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    HI,

My problem was that I had no idea what a 'cattery' was but thats probably a regional thing, I'm from Canada. So your target market won't have that problem. You have a lot of text on your site, which is great for SEO, however my first response when I view a site is to scan it for a couple seconds to get the overall idea of what you do and what makes you different, and then I'll leave the site if it looks like too much work to read. So, I think what I would do (and this is just 1 opinion), is have some of the information sections collapsible, maybe they appear when you mouse over them? That way you don't have so much text on the screen.

Also, your navigation bar isn't very visible. Your nav links are smaller than most of your headings and the font looks a bit unprofessional like Times Roman.. This is the kind of font you usually see on low budget or squatting type of sites, banner farms etc. So maybe arial or tahoma or verdana? Not sure what you're using just doesn't look clean. The navigation links should jump out more to stress the site navigation.

Your slogan: Our mission ...... is to ensure that your cat has the best possible quality of life whilst you are away.... Should really be the first thing that hits me when I come to your site. I actually didn't read it for the first 20 seconds as my eyes moved around the screen, and to be honest if I wasn't reviewing the site I might have been gone already. Maybe put this slogan into the actual main picture you have at the top of the site.

Finally, if I owned a cat and was looking for someplace to put it, I would need to see a picture of the building/facility before making an appointment and coming all the way down. It could be a crazy cat ladies house for all I know. Another thing I would do is ask past customers for testimonials and put them right on the front page of the site, telling everyone how much your cat loves going there etc.

Hope this helps. Overall the content is there, just remember to keep you main page really simple and focus on your best points. For me as a potential customer it would be cleanliness, pet loving hosts, affordable rates, and testimonials.
    Chuck
    --------------------------
    Add Poker Tables to your Website
    http://www.PlugInPoker.com

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Chuck, great comments and constructive will work on the points raised.

The business is brand new and not yet up and running so I am waiting for them to send me some photos of the buildings (still being furnished) and I've suggested they add testimonials once they've had some customers, but thanks for the reminder!

Quote Originally Posted by PWS View Post
    HI,

My problem was that I had no idea what a 'cattery' was but thats probably a regional thing, I'm from Canada. So your target market won't have that problem. You have a lot of text on your site, which is great for SEO, however my first response when I view a site is to scan it for a couple seconds to get the overall idea of what you do and what makes you different, and then I'll leave the site if it looks like too much work to read. So, I think what I would do (and this is just 1 opinion), is have some of the information sections collapsible, maybe they appear when you mouse over them? That way you don't have so much text on the screen.

Also, your navigation bar isn't very visible. Your nav links are smaller than most of your headings and the font looks a bit unprofessional like Times Roman.. This is the kind of font you usually see on low budget or squatting type of sites, banner farms etc. So maybe arial or tahoma or verdana? Not sure what you're using just doesn't look clean. The navigation links should jump out more to stress the site navigation.

Your slogan: Our mission ...... is to ensure that your cat has the best possible quality of life whilst you are away.... Should really be the first thing that hits me when I come to your site. I actually didn't read it for the first 20 seconds as my eyes moved around the screen, and to be honest if I wasn't reviewing the site I might have been gone already. Maybe put this slogan into the actual main picture you have at the top of the site.

Finally, if I owned a cat and was looking for someplace to put it, I would need to see a picture of the building/facility before making an appointment and coming all the way down. It could be a crazy cat ladies house for all I know. Another thing I would do is ask past customers for testimonials and put them right on the front page of the site, telling everyone how much your cat loves going there etc.

Hope this helps. Overall the content is there, just remember to keep you main page really simple and focus on your best points. For me as a potential customer it would be cleanliness, pet loving hosts, affordable rates, and testimonials.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You make some good points. The purpose of a headline is to get attention. That is number one. It's second purpose is to get you to read the next line (perhaps a subhead, or the frist line of the body copy.) Each line of copy is to get you to read what comes next.

If the headline fails, you have failed to do your job.

How about, "If you place your cat in our care, he may not want to go home."

There is a problem with that template. I have reloaded it several times, but the background is always white. I don't believe that is what it's supposed to be, as the links don't show.
    William Otis
    Flamenco aficionado and Freelance Web designer
    www.dreammakergraphics.com/

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    simple but good done, the website load so fast which is good, rich content now you have just to work on your SEO backlinks...etc as all for one i can say 6/10

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perhaps it loaded fast for you. I don't think it fully loaded for me, but then we are still stuck with "dial-up" service. But so are many people, so for them this site might be a problem. I could only see a white background. I have a feeling that isn't what it is supposed to be.
    William Otis

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the view but as PWS said you should have collapse your text so that user may not get irritated. Gud luck.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. The design is ancient. You really need to invest in a better design.
    2. DO NOT minify html code, you won't be able to see errors.
    3. Enable gzip compression of text content on your server.
    4. Get rid of 404 errors (print.css for example).
    5. Some pictures are not optimized.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought it looked like Wordpress. He's not a designer. Anyone who has to use Wordpress is not a Web designer. All he is doing is plugging content into a pre-made template.
    William Otis

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BillO View Post
    I thought it looked like Wordpress. He's not a designer. Anyone who has to use Wordpress is not a Web designer. All he is doing is plugging content into a pre-made template.
    It's not Wordpress.

I'm in the middle of some more changes as it looks odd on iPad and Phones, once that's sorted I'll ask for more comments.

I've tested it and the load time is around 0.69 seconds for the home page which I don't consider slow at all, I did try using the gzip (thanks for the reminder) but the change is negligable. As for optimising the images, they are jpeg which is already optimised. I've used http://www.smushit.com to further compress the image but that only saves around 7% but better than nothing I suppose.

Thanks.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, not sure if someone else pointed it out, but resizing the browser causes your menu items, cat image, and social buttons to get out of sync with the rest of the page. As for a personal preference, I would probably add some spacing between the navigation items when hovering over each one. Right now the adjacent menu items are mashed together.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The top of your webpage is too busy. If I understand modern web-design, the first set of links you should have, other than the normal facebook and twitter stuff, is the black bar of stuff that you have two-thirds down from the page. This will concentrate all your important links in one place. After that, you should have the website's mission statement, which right now is located above the link bar.

Additionally, the stuff you have at the top of your page, the links, should be in that black tool bar instead of floating by themselves, and most of the text stuff that you have linked in the black link bar could be summarized in just one FAQ page.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wordpress, right? That would explain why it is so slow to load. Is there a background color? White link at upper left on white background doesn't show, so I assume there is supposed to be a darker background that is not loading.

The photos are cute. The layout is very ordinary. Typical Wordpress. Why not make a custom site? It's not bad. It's just ordinary.

Just my opinion.

William Otis
    <snip />
    Last edited by cpradio; Feb 23, 2013 at 12:10. Reason: Please create a real signature
    William Otis

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    first plus points website load fast and i think need some changes on header and footer...